Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alf4444, Jul 22, 2004.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I,ve got what I think is a slow electrical leak and have no idea how to determine its source?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Also if I slowly gas it the volt guage goes up abit but if I romp on it it drops abit. Alternator is new as is the battery but if the blazer sits for a couple days the battery goes dead! oh its on a 78

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How does your wiring look around your starter area? I had the same problem and cut and replaced the fusible links on the starter and put new wring to the battery and have no problems with mine anymore. Plus I cleaned up alot of the junk the PO done to the wiring /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I guess I could try that, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif damn PO's I guess there isn't that much involved in that. Did you upgrade wire size also? Anything else you think it could be?

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I upgraded all the wiring between the battery to the starrter/alternator. Going to redo it here in the coming months to get set up for dual batteries. As far as anything else, I had a clock constantly running on mine so I disconnected that, don't think it helped any so now it just sits there. Was there anything added recently on the vehicle? Check underneath the dash around the fuse box and see if any wires have been spliced into or are bare, they could draw some juice as well. I had to go through mine with a multimeter and a test light but narrowed all of my shorts down that way. Good luck, I know wiring is a PITA

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Put an ammeter in series with the battery and see how much current is being drawn when the truck is not running. There should be very little current draw or zero current, depending on what accessories are attached.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Somewhere in the milliamps for draw with "nothing" on IIRC.

If you've got more than just a tad bit of draw (digital radio will draw some for memory for instance) leave the ammeter hooked up, and pull fuses until the draw disappears, then figure out why the circuit fed by that fuse is drawing.

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Found it! It was the radio. Kinda confused on how just that could drain the battery though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif