Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HEFTY, Dec 30, 2001.

1. HEFTY

HEFTY Registered Member

I started having problems with my radio (aftermarket AIWA) it keeps blowing fuses. When the fuses blow they light up the interior of my truck at night, alot of juice. Fuse box says 10 amp its always had a 20 amp in it since i got truck, (after market radio draws more juice?) if i put a 20 amp in it can sometimes last up to a day or just blow right away.
    now my windshield wipers turn themselves on and off.
    i don't know if these are related or not, could the wipers just be a switch problem.

sorry so long, thanks in advance

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know about your radio but my wipers are 'posessed' too...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most car radios don't draw more than 5 amps or so. Sounds like there's a bare wire in your radio wiring that is occasionally shorting against a piece of grounded steel somewhere. You'll have to get under there and examine the wiring closely.

And get rid of that 20 amp fuse! If the circuit is labeled for a 10 amp fuse, then the wiring for that circuit is using very thin wire, and is only rated for a 10 amp load. A full short draws enough current to blow the fuse quickly. But if something in the radio were to go bad and cause a, let's say 18 amp constant load, then the wiring would overheat and set your truck on fire. NOT a pretty scene. Fuses are there to prevent this from happening. Using a fuse that's rated at a higher current reduces your protection.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. HEFTY

HEFTY Registered Member

thanks, the more i get into my electrical the more i think i have a fire waiting to happen. someone put in electric windows and rear gate window and didn't do the safest install. the electrical seems pretty rigged up. i'm almost glad for the problems ive had with my truck ive discovered some very unsafe things which i have fixed and continue to do.
    i just hope i don't have to rewire the whole truck.

from what i have found all the wires are not bare, we also bypassed those wires and still blew the fuse, maybe a radio problem or in the fuse box?

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

test the grounds for power with a voltmeter. if you find power on a ground you have a short. I had radio, interior lights and horn probs and you will never guess what was causing it..............a bad cigareete lighter! double check ALL of your fuses again. If the elec. windows were rigged up then you never know what other items the previous owner may have rigged up.
    If you trace the grounds of all the accesories you will find that they all are joined in one junction on the drivers side kickpanel right up under the dash. one short in one accessory can cause others to fail.
    Good Luck!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er