Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrician types: Running cable outside the house

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Specifically, wanna run a CAT5 from the house to my shop, which is a separate building.

There's concrete between the two, so burying it is kidna out of the question.

I could just string it from one building to the other (it's, I donno, like ten, maybe twelve feet across.)

I imagine I should put up some kind of conduit, though, and run the cable through that.

Metal conduit, and make sure I ground it? Plastic conduit? (Is there such a thing?) Hang some sched. 40 PVC with duct tape?

-- A

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Do you ever carry anything verticle like through that gap between the buildings?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you specifically need cat5, or are you just looking to connect a computer to a network?
    If just a computer, I'd suggest getting a wireless router and card for the PC. You can get a router for $30 these days, I got one at Best Buy a few months ago for that with some rebates on it.

4. dremu

I have WiFi out there. It sucks. :wink1: Plus I'm spoiled as my main network is gigabit, so even the 100megabit on this machine seems slow =))

My existing WiFi stuff is on the other side of the house and I don't wanna run the TV cable for the cable modem under the house (lazy!) to move the WiFi stuff closer to the shop.

-- A

5. dremu

Thought of that ... no. The trailers get parked back there, but as long as I go from roofline to roofline, no problem there.

So, any takers?

-- A

6. justhorsinaround

Run metal conduit. Cat 5 is flexible enough to use elbows so you don't have to bend the conduit to make the corners. Simple enough to do.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How big is your house?? :rotfl:

Not that it's relevant anymore, but you can run a cat5 under the house to move the wireless closer, not the cable modem.

Are you moving files between machines? If you're on a cable modem, running over a 54mbit wireless connection will give you the same download speed as a gigabit cat5e or cat6. It all hits the same 1-10mbit cable modem bottleneck. What kind of swtich are you using to get gigabit?? Is it consumer grade or business stuff?
    If it's consumer grade, I gotta pay attention to the market again :doah:... I move data around my home network a lot, and I just moved to a 100mbit full duplex switch up from a 7 year old hub, and while it's better, it's still not as great as I'd like.

8. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

that thar is the problem. Just use some PVC like you said

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, cat5 can go 328' before attenuating, so you might be able to run it buried through the yard and back to the building in a way.

Otherwise, if overhead is your only option, I'd say conduit also.

10. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

if you use PVC make sure you use the gray PVC conduit, regular PVC cant handle the sunlight.

11. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

iv had a cat5 cable run around my house to my bedroom for about 5 years, the arizona sun hasn't ate it up so i say go for it.

12. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I don't follow the weather in your area, but cat5 and cold dont really mix.

Also, dont use the normal cat5 UTP. you want cat5 STP (sheilded twisted pair).

As for ratch wonderin about gigabit.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

13. justhorsinaround

Oooo. You can also put coax in the same conduit so you can have TV in the garage as well!

14. dremu

Thanks all.

To answer some of the questions, I run DVD images over the network, thus my predilection for gigabit ... it's a local connection to my file server, not the Internet, that I need the fat pipe for.

Which means, justhorsin, that yeah, I could watch DVD's in the shop :thinking: ... though then I'd NEVER get anything done =))

The house is tiny, essentially 2/1, 1000sf, but the WiFI is literally on the opposite side of the house from the garage/shop. :(

I have a big box of CAT5 that fell off the truck at work, donno whether it's shielded or not, but it ran to the garage okay, so another twenty feet should be okay.

The problem with moving the WiFi is I'm then moving the file servers, CD/DVD encoding machine, 1500w UPS, the cablemodem, network switches, and the rack that's holding all of it ... not so easy to shuffle around the house. Never mind the wad of CAT5 going TO them from the other computers in the house, the infrared remote for the home theater, and the GPS and atomic clock radios =))

Pix attached are the computer rack is more or less its current config, and the dining room walls. Damn, there's no MIGHT about it ... I *am* a geek, and a media whore =))

Anyway, cool, so there IS such a thing as PVC conduit, and either it or the metal kind would work for me.

-- A

new-fileserverdc-2.JPG

dining-room.JPG

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes HD carries it and if i rember right a stick of 1/2"(10ft) is 3-4 bucks? mabye less, i cant rember its been a while
    they also carry all the elbows and fitting you need

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Why would you do all that? Can't you move the access point, and run a single cable from it back to the switch?

What switches are you running?

17. dremu

Access point is also the WAN router, i.e. NAT device for the cable modem.

Switch is a Netgear or D-Link or something cheapo for the gig, and a 3Com 12-port for the 100 meg.

-- A

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I see... I know it's a moot point, but for future flexibility ideas, all you really need to run are two cat5's from your existing area to your relocated wireless router, one line to your cable modem, the other to your switch. You could also just run one cat5 and stick a new wap on the end of it.
    I just went through this with a new broadband install at my house; they installed the wan interface on the opposite side of the house as my equipment, so I just ran a cat5 drop to it instead of moving all my equipment and whole house cable terminations. I'm debating ditching the providers equipment altogether, though. I'm running through their router, to my router, to my hardware firewall, to my switch, then to end nodes, or, upstairs, through a wap to the end nodes.
    I had 2 damaged cat5 and cat3 (telephone) runs to the second floor, so I hemmed an hawed about how I'm going to re-run the lines, then I said frig it and put a wap at the end of the still good cat5, and broke out the pairs of the remaining cat3 line for the phone extensions.

I'm not a fan of setting up a whole overhead conduit just for one cable, strikes me as very inefficient, but if you need gig networking in the shop, then it's what you'll need to do.

How many devices do you have running gigabit? I'm just wondering what the 100mbit and the wireless actually connect to.

I didn't know there were cheap gig switches out there now... I just bought my 100m fd like a month ago, I should've have shopped around more (although it was an emergency since the hub had finally failed). Not that it matters much, I only have two machines that are gig ready.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but your wap is secured, right?

20. dremu

Well, the room that has the cablemodem is to be come the kid's room when she moves in with us in a few months, so it's all moot... just don't want to move anything now, yet wanna get my stuff set up :)

Gig is the primary server, the DVD encoder, my desktop ... and two other things, five-port switch. Oh, well, one's an uplink.

100 meg is for the wife's desktop, the secondary file server, the printer (not like it needs it :), the touchscreen control for the home theater, the garage MP3 player machine, the two home theater PC's, etc etc.

The WiFi is for the laptops, my work, the living room machine, the wife's, the kids.

And yeah the WiFi is secured ... not broadcast and cryptic SSID, WEP ... and best of all, crappy range, so you'd hafta be ON my property to use it... heck, as we note, not even ALL of my lot can access it =))

-- A