Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electronic Carb survey

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For those of you with an 86 or older K-5: Do you have an electronic carb?

You will know if it is electronic because it will have a throttle position sensor in it and a two-wire electric solenoid for the "dancing needle". The truck will also have an O2 sensor, PCM, etc.

The Haynes manual swears that GM truck carbs were all going electronic in the early to mid 80's, but I've never seen one on a K-5. Note: I am not talking about TBI, which all of you from 87+ should have.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Has anyone had one on a different kind of vehicle then? They were actually pretty common on cars for a few years.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

3. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

My 86 did not have an electronic carb on it when it bought it, although the connetors were there. It did originally have one, but someone replaced it with an older style Q-jet without the electronic controls.
    PS- I did have an electronic q-jet on an 84 Cutlass and never got any problems out of it.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I am pretty certain that i do have an electronic carb on my 86.

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have as yet to see a truck with the CCC carb (computer controlled carb with TPS) I have seen plenty in the the 84-86 range with the Electric mixture control carb. I hate them they are junk and the mixture solinoid is prone to failures.I played with one and tried to get it to work but never seemed right and figure I was missing some parts. If you got one and it dies get a 79 or so model carb. It has all the vac hook ups for the emmisons crud but has the ond reliable manual mixture set up and is easily converted to electric choke.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

My former '85 had an ECU controlled carb with: TPS, O2 sensor, mix control solenoid. If I remember correctly, it was called an E4ME version. California emissions package. There were 3 sets of wire-bundles going
    to the carb from the harness; I think 7 wires total counting 3 for the TPS. My ECU failed on a trip
    several years back, and the K5 would run, but ran full rich. My '85 Helm manual has the wiring diagram and emissions diagram for this version (California).

SteveB