Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electronic fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83PJW, Dec 23, 2006.

1. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

I am installing my radio/amp and I get a horrible noise through my amp and subs when I turn the amp on. The regular speakers (not running through the amp have no noise at all) just the amped speakers. I narrowed it down to my electronic fuel pump that is causeing the feedback. When I pull the fuse to the Fuel Pump the noise stops and it sounds great! Is there something I can do or some way to rewire the pump so it is not messing with my amp? Maybe bigger gauge wire would cut down on the feed back? Maybe a better ground or multiple grounds? The noise is very bothersome and I have to fix it before I go nuts!!! Anyway, I just rewired the whole truck and the noise did not go away (but then again I did not change the rout of the wire either)..

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

ok I just called Circuit City (no private shops will give advice over the phone) and told them the above scenario. They told me that I can not do anything to fix the whine. Any advice?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might try..

They sell "filter choke coils" at stereo shops and Radio Shack,that go in between the power wire and power source of the stereo,to help reduce noises caused by electric motors,alternator,etc..that might help some..

Adding a capacitor to the fuel pump's power leads may help too..or running the power wire for the stereo right to the battery itself,and not the fuse box,where it may pick up noise from other wires in the harness (be sure to put a fuse in-line though,and remember the radio will keep playing with the key off,so dont leave it on all night!)..

Ham radio books have several good ways to reduce or eliminate radio interference from motors,etc..the "ARRL Handbook" can be found in most libraries,or perhaps there is some site on the web you can read those articles on how to build and install RFI chokes,etc..I'm suprised the audio stores didn't tell you about the noise filters,and try to sell you one..:crazy:

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Wheres the amp grounded? Sometimes its a Ground loop that makes noise. if you grounded it to the body, try this, get a piece of wire and temporarily ground it to the battery and see if that fixes it, if it does then youhave a ground loop problem, you can buy a ground loop isolator or just permanently ground it to the battery and then all shoudl be fine. If It is RFI from the fuel pump then go to radioshack and try an RFI filter.

5. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

Amp has been grounded straight to the battery, but no luck.... new deal; I installed a relay switch for the fuel pump, so instead of the fuse box powering the fuel pump, the fuse box powers the relay switch and (for lack of better terms) that kept some of the noise, from the fuel pump voltage, out of the fuse box. I also did the same thing with my amp. I had a goood idea last night, the fuel pump itself is pure metal, no plastic anywhere on the outside. This could be acting like a huge ground itself since the pump is bolted right to the frame. I am going to wrap that in rubber and see if that will cut down on the feed back. I also have some engine whine that I think I can take care of wit resister plugs and what not. I am going to try the filter choke then capaciter....

6. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

forgot to tell you, I am currently running 2 ground loop filters... garbage! :crazy:

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Or just put a mechanical pump back on and be done with it. :)

9. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i would get some noise filters, ground that thing to the battery itself (pain in the ass) or find a new source of power, there has to be some way to eliminate the noise, the best advice i can give is to not give up

10. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I hear ya :wink1: