Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electronic Ignition?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steedalx, Apr 12, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Another dumb question....for those who have upgraded to an electronic ignition which did you use (model & model #)? Any bad experiences? I think my stock ignition may be the cause of some problems. Thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

GM HEI. Just get one with vacuum advance on it and run 12V to it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I'm using a Summit HEI and an MSD 6AL. They've provided perfect performance so far. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I swaped out my dual points for a stand alone ready to run MSD 8360 dist. You can run a 6A box with it but it is not neccesary to make it work. Kept the small cap style too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I ran it for years adn never had a problem. My 350 is gone now and I am moving into computer controled egnition with EFI /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I got a GM HEI setup from a junkyard for $35.00 and put on an Accel supercoil and replaced the ignition module and new curve kit (The spring set thing) and new Accel wires. Works well with my pukey motor.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have an HEI or two sitting in the garage if you want to throw them in. One has a new cap and rotor (the thing inside).

for the most part, you dont need anything hotter than a stock GM HEI coil for running a stock engine. I have run 400+hp 400+lb-ft engines on a stock GM HEI and had them run perfectly fine. You can go to an MSD and maybe get a smoother idle and maybe get a miniscule gain in mileage and maybe an easier start but for the cost and relative lack of performance gain on a stock motor I would go with an accell blaster coil at the most and call it good.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Mallory magnetic pick up dist., couldn't get a GM HEI to fit correctly. Also going to have a MSD offroad 6 with rev limiter in soon.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Mallory 29212 HEI distributor. $150 all new....sold the old stock distributor (with electronic conversion) and coil on eBay for $40. I had several used HEI's laying around the garage but by the time I rebuilt them with new parts it was cheaper to buy the new distributor. I had clearance issues with the Mallory though, they use a stupid coil design that is huge and interfers with the firewall on First Gens. I ended up cutting the back side off but its still too tight for my taste. I'd recommend buying an HEI with the original size coil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a stock 75-up GM HEI is way plenty and cheap with coil and cap and wires and all, shouldnt have to give over 35 for complete ready to use stock GM HEI to convert over with, all you have to do is run one wire from IGN UNFUSED port on your fuse panel out to the BATT port on the cap and run an inline fuse in it somewhere, and then youre all done, its easy as cake to convert to HEI on 74 older vehicles, ive done it to countless vehicles, 6 and 8 cylinders ones both, makes a HUGE differenc ein reliability and startability and performance, it really wakes up engines big time