Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electronic spark

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Mar 22, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What is wrong with my truck. It keepsshowing my check engine light but by the time I get it to the shop to run the codes they are gone and it says there are no trouble codes. I have caught it once and it said it was an electronic spark control problem. I have replaced the plugs, wires, coil, cap, and rotor and am putting in a msd box. But why does it keep showing my check engine light and then clearing it. It also cuts out every /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifnow and then like it is being starved of fuel. But I believe that is the filter or pump because it will do that without throwing a code. But it also cuts out when the service engine light comes on. Why???????????

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

bad pickup coil in distributor...
    bad knock sensor...
    bad catalytic converter...

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Im having a similar problem. My light goes on and off as well, and engine dies periodically, usually under pretty heavy throttle during acceleration. Ive checked the plugs, distributor, etc. Thanks.

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

That sounds identical to mine. It also stumbles every now and then Driving but if I let it sit for about a min all is good. I am lost. What should my knock sensor read on a scanner if it is good? bad? It did this with my old coil in there and the new one is an msd gm so I dont know? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif