Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elementary Questions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Oct 1, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ok. I realize these may be elementary questions, but I take great pains in asking questions even on the basic levels. Anything I do on my Blazer, I wanna make sure its an actual improvement and not taking steps backwards. So, I have a couple questions.

1) Under hood insulation - too keep or not too keep. What is its purpose? Is it truely necessary. Mine is looking kinda ragged and I know when they get wet or what not they are heavy and look like crap

2) Debadging - I actually posted this question in another thread of mine. To take off the fender badges and the ones on the back quarterpanel, what is needed? Are they bolted on somehow? Id like to remove them without destroying them.

More questions will be added as I think of them. :D

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

under hood fiberglass.....everyone i no takes it out...its just insulation....im sure if u ask chevy they would say its not good for the paint or something stupid. but i would take it out...it catches fire easy too....and about the de-badging...i left mine on...i like them

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1. If it's junky already, toss it. Not doing whatever it was intended to do if it's all raggedy and torn in any case. :)

2. I have no idea how to pull the badges on the front fenders. I've never had any luck, perhaps with the correct tool for the job, you could get at the nuts on them. Good idea not to break them though, quite expensive ($40+ from GM now, won't be available forever) to replace.

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. Toss it
    2. Small nuts on back of badges. Some easy some PITA.

5. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the badges that say like K-5 blazer and such?

If so you can take a heat gun to em to heat up the glue and they will peel right off w/out breaking.:wink1: You can also use a blowdryer too but it'll just take a little longer

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

yeah im talking about the fender badges, they arent jus glued one. I had one that was partially loose and I pulled on it and you can see holes in the fender and like a stud from the badge goin thru.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those would have the speed nuts on the back side...as for the underhood insulation I wish my truck still had it. I think it'd help make the truck a bit quieter.

Rene

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well Rene, not all of us have an engine that sounds like the pistons are trying to swap holes at idle. :D

1 of my trucks has the insulation, the other 2 do not. when i switch to the cowl hood, none of them will have it.

as for the badges, speed nuts, accessed through the holes in the inside of the fender. some portions may be stuck on with double stick tape. my 81 C10 parts truck had diesel badges on it in addition to the regular Silverado fender badges. the diesel badges were double stick taped under the other emblems. looked like one piece but it wasnt.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Insulation *helps* to smother under-hood fires when they start. The plastic clips melt away, and it falls down and blankets everything. That's one of it's purposes. It usually won't put the fire out, but will often buy you enough time to get the extinguisher and get it out before it gets out of control. If it's dirty .. and smells like gas and oil, then it probably won't help.. but a new one would be worth the effort. It's like insurance.. sort of a hassle, but usually good to have when you need it.

What do you gain by removing it? If it looks old and ugly, get a new one.