Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eletric fuel pump

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by josephn, Jun 10, 2002.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Can you use any eletric gas inline fuel pump on a 6.2 for a lift pump? If so does anyone know the psi required?

Or do you have to get one that is specificly for the diesel?

Just curious.

2. René

René 1/2 ton status

... without problems...

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Do you mean that you have done this with no problems?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes you can do it, Ive had mine on for over 2 years, helps in case I run out of fuel and as a backup for the mechanical lift pump. Just get something low pressure for a carbureted engine and youll be fine.

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

That is it. I relieve my injection pump with this system, because I drive with pure vegetable oil (no Diesel). Functioned really fine.

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Straight Vegtable oil? What kind do you use and did you have to do any engine mods or additives to get it to run?

I would like to try this how would I go about doing it?

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Does it matter where you put it in line? (Close to engine or close to tank)

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It really shouldnt matter since youre really just assisting the mechanical pump. I have it on the frame rail about where the passenger door is and that seems to work fine.

9. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

IMHO, it's a bad idea to run an electric pump ahead of your mechanical pump. Run one or the other. It's possible that if you run both, if the rubber diaphragm in the mechanical pump ruptures then your electric pump can pump your crankcase full of fuel. It may not be likely, but still a possibility.

As for running on straight vegetable oil, it's not too difficult or uncommon. Start a new thread on the topic and I'll tell you what I know... <font color="blue"> /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

10. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Just run it as close to the tank as possible. An electric fuel pump does better pushing the fuel than pulling it. You are also correct about the diaphram on the manual pump could go bad and the electric will pump fuel directly into the crankcase. I haven't had any problems with mine, but then again my dad just emptied 6 quarts of fuel from his crankcase because his manual pump went bad, and he isn't even running an electric pump in line. I have noticed a lot better startup since I put the electric one on. Waiting for the glow plugs gives the pump enough time to have the fuel ready to be burned.