Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eletrical question about hooking up CB, Winch, and MSD..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok i got the MSD and the CB hooked up to my battery, and i dont think that is the right way to do it, i dont like having wires hooked up using the nut on the battery cables, what im asking is, Is there something that i buy to hook up all my electrical add-ons? or do i just have to search for Hot wires and splice them in ( i dont think thats right either) I hate having wires all cluttering up my engine compartment, getting tangled on my feet and what not, Thx.......

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Find yourself a spare fuse block and run it off the battery, and run all your accessory stuff off of the spare fuse block. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Silver84k5

thx. but i have no idea how i would hook that up heh, run wires from the positive and negative terminals of my battery straight into the fuse box?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I haven't actually seen the back of a fuse block yet (I'm going to be doing the same thing soon) but I believe there is a positive side (you would need power) and a ground (whether its on the battery or the body/frame I don't know).

Or I believe you can just run one power lead from the battery to a multi-connect conjunction block where the mounting bolts are the ground, and run all your acc. stuff from that.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have a dual terminal battery....and use the "side post" terminals to hook up all of the accessories, including my MSD 6AL. I run all of the wires through convoluted tubing to keep it semi-neat.....just an idea that might work for you. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You can run the CB off the existing fuse block. There should be an open plug up there, just use a test light to find one that's either hot when the ignition key is turned on, or hot all the time. If you're going to have it always hot you'll need to remember to turn it off as it won't when the key is off.

Winches need to run directly to the battery and attach to the top post, not a side post.

Don't know about the MSD.

I run most of my accessories with an inline fuse direct to the battery, but I now have a distribution center that I think I'll add and run everything to that. You can get them at most car stereo shops (that do installs).

7. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I just went to radio shack and bought a bus terminal and a bridging strap, mounted it to my fire wall in my cab and ran 8 gauge wire to it. cost all of 10 bucks and now all my stuff is routed through it inside. Looks orderly too. The big power stuff though I'd run directly to the battery.

8. Silver84k5

Thx all, good ideas, ill be checking them out this weekend,