Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

eletricians alert

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noJeepshere, Feb 6, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifi have a a gauge cluster out of a 79 truck that i want to put in my jimmy. after doing some research, i found that the idiot light dash uses diaphrams to work the light, and the gauge dash uses voltage regulators to work the gauge. my question is, will replacig the diaphram with the regulator work? i really do not like not knowing i have low oil before its too late /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, so any help would be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I fully understand but I will take a guess. The two different clusters use different types of senders, an idiot light uses an on/off switch set at a specific temp or pressure. it turns the light on or off. the gauge sender uses a variable resistor to vary the voltage back to the gauge in reference to the pressure or temperature. you need the correct senders to match the cluster you are using. The wiring is basically the same, but if you use a cluster from a different year vehicle there may be a difference in location of the wires in the cluster plug. Someone else on here may know the specifics on that. As for the senders, just get the gauge type sender and install it in place of the idiot light sender.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah your differences wil bne in the sendig units screwed into the driver side head and differences in sending unitsfor oil sometimes

4. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

THanks guys, found the senders and replaced them. im working on changing the speedo gears in the t-case to compensate for the different numbers on the face, mine goes to 85mph the "new" one is a 100mph guage. just got to replace the motor now. 4.1 L6, anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif