Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Elevation and 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Guest66, May 22, 2002.

1. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I went fishing and i was up in 7000-8000 foot range and my 6.2 Blazer was running hard and smoking a ton more than usual, I had to climb the hills in second rather than third, how effective is the 6.2 in higher elevation and is there any way I can tune it to run better @ higher elevation

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe there are two factory setting available for the injection pump - one for low altitude and one for high altitude. My truck is set for high altitude, but I've never really noticed a difference performance-wise when I travel to lower areas.

FWIW, the less oxygen a diesel gets, the worse it performs. As a result, a dirty air filter will affect performance significantly more at higher altitudes. It might be worth checking, brother!!

3. Guest66

Ok, thanks for the info on the pump, i know it wasnt the air filter I had just cleaned and reoiled my KN airfilter the week b4, hmmm, ima look into the injection pump, thanks alot for the info

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

On your vacuum hose routing diagram under the hood it should say if your truck was equipped with a low or high altitude pump......

5. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Naturally aspirated diesels don't do very well at high altitude. Before I put a turbo on mine it would smoke an awful lot at high elevation and was really down on power. I had to climb hills in second instead of third too. About the only way to take care of it is to install a turbo.

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

What you describe happening is 100% normal in my experience. My diesel don't like going over 7000 feet, but I'm used to it. Takes a little different approach when you're climbing steep grades, and a little more patience.

You start to run out of air pretty quick after 7000 feet, at least for the engine. I was helping a friend who lives right at 9000 feet haul slash last weekend, so you can imagine how much my poor truck was starved for air pulling a trailer at that altitude!

Try driving an N/A 6.2L at 12000 feet sometime. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

As others have pointed out, a good turbo is the only real fix. Better intake and exhaust would help a little, but that's about it. I'm definately going to turbo my K5 sooner or later, probably after I can afford a complete 6.5L w/turbo and a manual trans.

7. Guest66

Yeah good, so Im not the only one, when I got up High and started smokin, I thought I had a bad batch of diesel, I was smokin so much the cars behind me dissapeared, it was kinda funny the looks they gave me when they passed by, hehe, well my dream is to put a 5.9 L cummings turbo in my baby, but thats my 20 yr plan, hehe, Some cool news though, I just put my Bondo Roll On Bed Liner on, and it looks awesome! I had some trouble getting all the glue off the wheelwells, but I got it off, the bedliner looks so sweet on it! I need to get some pic's on here, I d recommend it to all o y'all if ya git alot of s**t in the back, Oh well, thanks for all o y'all's insight