Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ELocker good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 64suburban, Oct 4, 2006.

1. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

I recently seen an add about the Eaton ELocker Differential. And thought to myself this looks like a have to have? I looked at there web site tonight and learned a little about how they worked. I know why you would want them I also know that I probably can't afford them. But what I don't know is do you really need them. Are these things a must, or are they just nice to have, does everybody want them? or are they considered cheating haha, I don't really know that's why I come here to ask! please educate me! Thanks.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any selectable locker is good but they are lots of money and they have more parts to fail. I really like my Detroits cuz they are cheap and reliable.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I dont have any personal experience with them, but was at 4x4 shop when dude was installing one. It wasnt pretty by any means. He actually sheared off the 2 wires goin to the locker, had to have them send out new thingy. Im guessing once you get it installed youd be good to go. One other reason that turned me off of it was, I dont know how waterproof that system is, im sure its pretty good. but too many variables can happen when you do Electric lockers and even air lockers. They are convenient when they work, but if something goes wrong, it may not be easy fix. I jus put a loc rite in the back of mine. For the wheeling I do, itll be fine. Eventually ill get a detroit.

4. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

Yeah I didn't even think about that, water meets electricity, and that’s bad! And if my 31 year old rear leaked / let water in, man, that would be bad. I think I’m going to check out the loc rite and the Detroit. Thanks a lot!

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

One word: DETROIT!
    -Harrison