Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ELocker install problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by driney, Nov 28, 2004.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in the middle of installing an ELocker in my 1o bolt front axle. I hoped the shims I had were close but they seem to be about 3/32" to thin to preload the bearings. Is it normal to have to shim that much over the original installation? Also can I find the shims locally or is that something I'll have to order? I'm about 1 1/2 weeks away from an OK trip and I have a ton of work to do yet. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You should be meausring shims by the .001" not by 1/32 scale.
    But onto your question. I have only regeared one 10 bolt that the original production shims worked on. The other 4 needed to be shimmed to get the backlash correct. You should be able to get the shims at an NAPA or Pep-Boys. If not there try a dealership. I keep a box of shims and old bearings in my garage just for those occasions. If you could tell me the thickness of shim you need such as .024 i could mail you some in the morning.

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I may have partially solved the problem. The new races were one digit off in the part number. I think the correct races will be thicker. Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif