Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

elusive t-case adapter seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Feb 22, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

impossible to find someone with th350/np205 adapter seals! there is two of them in there, both identical and it takes an act of congress to get one. thats IF you can get the idiot behind the computer at the parts store to understand what you're talking about.

dealer? yeah the dealer has them for <font color=red>$25</font color=red> dollars a peice. yes thats $50 for two seals, the exact same kind of seal that is used for a timing cover or tranny output, etc. Oh well Im done griping. I did however find a COMPLETE np205 seal &amp; gasket kit for $20 at a transmission supply store. I was stoked because napa and kragen wanted $60+ for the set and they didnt even have them in stock....

sympathy? comments? flames?

mike

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Try getting the round seal for the coupler saft that connects the input / output shafts on a SM465 / NP205... I just had to live with draining the excess oil out of my T-case and putting it back into my tranny once a week. Man did that suck!!

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problem when I had to replace my adpapter. Every part store I went to looked at me like I was crazy. I finally went to the place that should have been my first stop, there is a company here in town that specializes in bearings &amp; seals. I just took one of the old seals in with me &amp; walked out with 2 new seals for about 5 dollars each.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A lot of times there will be a part number on the edge of the seal. NAPA should be able to crossrefference that number and get you the seal. Autozone has also been able to do that for me in the past and order me Feldpro Seals (good stuff).
    Same trick works for bearings. There will be a pt number on them also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I agree with Grim...

Go to Napa, as all their seals are "CR" seals anyway, and they have a comprehensive catalog. You may need to measure the shaft size and bore size or better... take the pieces in with you. A good parts guy at Napa can get you just about any lip seal there is..!

Marv

6. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I have some of those seals. I will sell them to you for $10 shipped to you. Let me know.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dunno what year yours is but if it is around 77 like mine it is
    NATIONAL 473214 I paid $6.45cdn once and $7.30cdn the next time i knicked it
    1.375 x 2.25 x .312 (47/s)

you guys have to stop going to autoparts places and try industrial bearing and seal distributors

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

capitalist!

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the dishes are done. I pushed the guy at kragen out of the way and used the computer and found my part. special order, will be here monday (its friday nite).. CR seal, part # PA6767438.

2 seals @ 6.79 a peice = $13.58 (there are actually two identical seals in the thing, i didnt order an extra one)

Napa would have been my next choice but they keep bankers hours and by the time im back in town after I get off work, they're closed or near closing. Plus the last few times Ive been to napa, its been a bad experience... This one has just a bunch of punk ass kids who think they know it all working there.. I sometimes play dumb just to see what kind of $hit they will feed me.. this one guy who appears to be a manager (hes always there and people look up to him) is a real moron. he tries to talk like an old parts pro know it all. but really hes just a punk, doesnt know much at all. Ive really lost a lot of respect for napa lately.... there DOES happen to be a napa in my small town where I actually reside and they have some pretty smart dudes working in there but they're a SMALL one and dont have much of anything in stock, and everything is really high priced. Oh well..

as for the industrial suppliers- thats a very good tip and I use those places as much as possible but Ive never seen a seal or bearing supplier around here. so it never even crossed my mind. What I should have done was called the transmission parts warehouse where I got the seal &amp; gasket kit for the actual transfer case. But again, they keep bankers hours and are on the wayyyy other side of town. Its almost not worth it unless its a significant savings. anyways thanks again

mike

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The last time I did mine I just bought a rolled sheet of gasket material and used the old gasket for a template. I wouldn't rebuild a carb this way, but it is a cheap way to go for simple gaskets.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/search.php?searchstring=heavymetal>pics</a>