Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

embarassing low idle stalling problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stout87k5, Mar 15, 2007.

1. stout87k5

stout87k5 Registered Member

ive got a problem with my truck stalling at low idle mainly when shifting form reverse to drive.hoping someone here might have had the same problem.ive got 87 jimmy w/tbi 350 and 700r4.the truck came from cali so its also got all the smog equipment that was required in that state.the trannys less than a year old and still shifts fine.i was told it might have been the tourqe converter but i installed a new one when i swap out the old tranny. the one thing i can think of is that maybe some of the smog crap gunked up,or ive got a vacum leak,would that cause a problem like that? any help or ideas would be great,its getting a little annoying/embarassing.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

How low is it idleing? Mabey the PO put a higher stall TC in an attempt to be cool or something. That would require bumping your idle slightly.

Perhaps it just needs a good tune up,new plugs, timed, new cap/rotor, set the idle properly, clean throttle body etc.?

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be checking my Idle Air Controller, which is the big round sensor on the passenger side base of the throttle body. Sometimes they get gunk on their tips and in the worm gear assembly. Lightly take it apart (be careful, it is easy to break it), and clean / lube it up. Also clean up the passage it sits in on the throttle body.

If that doesn't help, you can bump the idle up a touch as well, you can do that by knocking out the little plug that covers the idle speed screw, if it is still in the throttle body, and turning it 1/4 - 1/2 turn with a torx bit. Its found in the same place as on a carb, and you can use a small screwdriver to knock the plug out.

After you bump the idle up, you'll need to take a pair of pins, and shove one through the grey wire, and one through the blue wire on the throttle position sensor, which is the three wire sensor just above the IAC. Then take a volt meter, put the positive on the grey, and negative on the blue, then see how many volts it is putting out with the throttle closed. If it is more than .58 volts, or less than .50 volts, you need to to adjust it back to .54 volts.

After everything is finished, and back together, it should idle slightly higher, and be able to keep up with gear changes.