Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Embarrassing moment of the day (Times 2)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My '83 C10 is low on fuel. So time to go get gas. It runs out somewhere between 1/4 and 1/8 on the gauge, depending on the temperature outside... and it was bouncing right between both marks.

I start it up and drive to the gas station 5 blocks away. There's one traffic light between me and the gas station. Of course it turns red. So, as it seems to stay red for eternity, the truck starts sputtering and dies. I have 2 cars in front of me, a huge line backed up behind me... and the light is still red and about to turn green.

The Wells Fargo Bank driveway is to my right. I crank the motor over and over... finally the electric fuel pump sucks up some more gas and it fires. I pretty much do a nuetral drop to get off the road before the light turns green and I end up having a lineup of pissed off drivers behind me. The rear tires break loose and squeal LOUD and I lurch cranked to the right, with my left tire still going over the edge of the curb and part of the lawn before bouncing back down into the parking lot, where I proceed to park and shut it off... hiding my face from anyone who saw what I'm sure looked like totally retarded driving maneuver.

I then hope that no one in the bank saw that, since we have one of our vending machines located there. I let the fuel pump run a bit, fire it up, and make a quick exit out of the parking lot and get to the gas station.

Part II.

Hours later, Full tank of gas. I pick up a friend to help him fill out some immigration form for his wife he just married out of the country. We stop by Taco Bell, and pull into the drive through. Just after I say our order through the microphone, the motor dies. I keep cranking it and it won't fire. So we get out and push it up to the window. Still wont start. The guy at the window said we were the 2nd car to stall out in the drivethrough tonight. We get our food and push the truck out of the drive through lane.

I get out, open the hood and manually listen for fuel squirting through the carb. Nothing. So I turn the ignition on and let the fuel pump run for a while. Finally it starts pulling up fuel again, and I hit the key and it fires right up.

:rolleyes: So appearently the truck like to embarrass me.

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

that sucks, it has an electric fuel pump in an 83? Atleast it wasn't the little crewcab, wouldn't be much pushing there.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh my young freind you will learn soon that nothing in Allens world is stock, the way it came, or the way he got it.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It was some generic fuel pump that Jim (the previous owner) had put in it.

I drove it up to Ione the day after (last Friday). Huge amounts of traffic going north out of town for the weekend. We got to the Riverside traffic light... the one just north of Wayne's house which is about 10-15 miles north of Spokane... and theres a huge line of traffic behind us. The truck dies AGAIN! I try and let the fuel pump run and get fuel back up again, but then the light turns green and me and Rusty had to push it off to the side and coasted down to the Riverside Family Foods parking lot. I let the fuel pump run for a while, then it fired right back up again.

Drove the rest of the way to Ione without problems. I guess it only runs dry on fuel when in an awkward position.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep the stories comming alan... I am not dissapointed by any of your threads