Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Embarrassing Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Jun 18, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

OK - I've rebuilt several engines and transmissions, installed diffs and lockers and replaced my entire suspension and brake systems. So. . .

WHY CAN'T I GET MY REARVIEW MIRROR TO STICK TO MY WINDSHIELD!?!

Seriously, four times now I've attempted to glue a new metal button to my windshield glass and four times its fallen off. I'm using the standard epoxy designed for just such things and sold at most atuo parts stores. I've worked with epoxy before and never had a problem (if you don't count gluing fingers together:D). Last time around I followed directions to a T (clean glass, apply activator and allow to dry for a few minutes then apply adhesive and stick) and still it doesn't seem to hold.

The button sticks at first and I've given it up to 24 hrs. to dry, but still when I install the mirror and given a little tug it comes right off.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever had this problem??? I'm in Florida and it's been humid as hell lately. Could this actually effect things? What about just using superglue or some other adhesive?

2. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

That mirror glue never works for me either. I'm a fan of superglue.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

super glue works for me.... your in the south and its summer good luck getting one to stick

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I buy the rearview mirror (superglue) they sell at Autozone, clean the glass with the alchol thingy, put about 5-6 drops on the metal tab, stick it to the windshield with some pressure for a few minutes, then i let it sit there over night...

This BTW, usually only holds for about a year or so, down here in Arizona heat, kills EVERYTHING.

Then i also don't make big adjustments with the mirror, don't have the problem with women, grabbing the mirror while they are in the passenger side, to look at themselves....the only issue i have it the stereo system moving the mirror around when turned up:doah: :p:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Scuff it a bit with some fine sand paper, button and glass!

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

bingo big time. i hit every one with my zippy pad grinder at work. the glue sticks to glass but falls off tab. tab needs some groves to grip in.

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

First us some good paint solvent (removes any oils film) Next lightly sand the metal tab.

Take the rear view mirror glue kit and follow directions.
    Then put glue on tab and press to glass for several mins.

Two days later hang mirror.

OR you can do the Gum Ball rally thing. Just toss the mirror out the window and no look back! It no matter whats behind you. Its whats ahead that counts.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mirrors a PITA!!!

I have limited success using the "Duro/Permatex" brand mirror adhesive sold in all the stores here..first hot day of the year,or extreme cold,I find my rearview mirror on the floor!..(its 95 today,first 90+ degrre day--wont be suprised if my mirror is not attached to the windsheild when I go look later!!:doah: ) the one on my 79 C10 fell off last winter..its still sitting on the seat !!..

I've had NO luck with "super glue" either--I got some adhesive from a windsheild replacement shop that worked great on one truck I had,but it was in a plain brown wrapper,don't know what brand it was..

I think high humidity is whats giving the florida guy the greif(muggy up here today too!)..but here cold is the main problem--that glue doesn't work if its below 50 degrees very well,if at all..

I always wire brush the snot out of the mounting tab,and razor blade the windsheild good and wash it with alcohol ,then use the "primer" they supply..the only time it held great was when I pulled a boner and glued the tab on upside down--I pulled until I thought the windsheld would come off with the tab,but gave up before I broke it!!--I had to glue ANOTHER tab on top of the first one!--then,6 months later,it fell off the windsheild again..why does the OEM glue hold so well, you bust the windsheild to get the mounting tab off,but the "aftermarket" glue sucks donkey dick???...

I scored a rear view mirror that SCREWS onto the windsheild frame, in an old "step van" at a junkyard..ended the glue dilema on my 72 K5!..but I learned the hard way you need REAL short screws,or they poke right thru the roof!..:doah: :blush: ..:mad: .......

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

thats wierd, I have put atleast 6 mirrors on windshields over the years and have never had one come off or had a problem with the cheapy repair glue kit from the auto store. try what has been previously suggested and hopefully that works for ya. I know how it is when something that SHOULD be so easy is just a mother f'in pain in the a**. makes you want to break something. :doah:

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ive had good luck with the auto parts stroe glue too. Maybe I would call up a automotive glass installer and ask them what they use for reattaching mirrors, I bet they might be able to help you.

11. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Same for me, scuff the metal, get everything super clean ( acetone ) and no probs. It's probably the humidity giving you trouble.

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

My friend said to use acetone and be sure the glass is CLEAN!
    He said if you smoke, clean it several times. The crap won't stick to DIRTY window glass. They use the Duro kit and leave mirror off for a day. He said it allows it to dry better no stress on it.

13. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got some stuff called GOOB , I bought it at NAPA and so far it's worked . I've tryed all the other glues with no luck.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend of mine swears by superglue. Put superglue on the button, glue a strip of saran wrap to the button, then glue that to the windshield.

Sounds to me like that accomplishes the same thing as scuffing up the button, which is what I did with auto parts store mirror glue, which so far has held.

15. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I use a two part epoxy sold at most auto parts stores. Not really made for windshield but works good. It comes in a package with two plastic tubes stuck together with a syringe type plunger in each and the two mix and you have a couple minutes to use it before in becomes solid.

16. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I use JB Quik. Scuff the metal tab and the section of the windshield where it attaches with 120 gtit sandpaper, clean it with acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc. and use JB Quik to glue it on. As long as you wipe away the excess, it is not noticeable. I've never had a mirror fall off after doing it this way :thumb:

17. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I use my dewalt frame nail gun.. works for me :haha:

seriously .. I have the same problem... im thinking about using Gorillia Snot (MEGA MEGA BONDING GLUE!!! BEST STUFF IN THE WORLD!!!)
    well second best to JB Weld :bow:

18. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Loctite rearview mirror adhesive. Put the catalyst on the glass and tab, the put three drops of glue on tab and apply. Put mirror on in 5 minutes, don't adjust for 20. Use it everyday.:waytogo:

[​IMG]

19. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

then it dont work good if you need to use it EVERYDAY!!!!!! :haha:

just messin man... :wink1:

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status