Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emergency battery trail welding?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, I just put on my new axle perches. The angles are all worked out, and it runs vibe free. I tacked the perches on with my MIG, but tried not to make them too permanant, cause I havent given up on the cv rear shaft idea yet, and I may be changin the angle in the near future. But, I have a trail run this weekend, nothing major or extreme, but its a club run that I dont want to miss. I plan on takin it easy, so as not to break the welds and rotate my diff up outta sight.
    My question is this: If it happens to rotate on me, and we have to carry out a trail repair, what is the procedure and requirements for a battery arc weld job? You take your booster cables, hook the grounds up, use a regular arc welding rod in the positive cable and go to town? Will it destroy my battery? Will it be too strong and punch thru my axle housing? Should the truck be running or shut down? What would a good all purpose rod be to use? Will it be a good enough weld to hold for a while? Has anyone done the battery welding thing sucessfully?

Thanks.
    Mike

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I've tried exactly what your talking about and it really didnt work out to well at all. I tried with the truck on and off. It really didnt make a difference and it didnt short anything out. I'm running a yellow top even at 14+ volts it didnt make the rod hot enough. I did try using a clothes hanger and it melted it like a champ. but the weld job wasnt worth the effort.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif sounds crazy!!

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

what type rod did you use?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know you have to run 2 batteries in series, so that your output is 24 volts. Peterson's had the diagrams for welding with batteries, it was awhile back. If you have back issues of Peterson's you can look back and check it out.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

how far back?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

2 batteries might do it, but 3 is better. 36 volts open circuit would do the trick. Truck not running, batteries not connected to the truck either.

The batteries would have to hooked up in series with the negative cable from Bat #1 and the hot cable from Batt #3 as your leads.

This would be a desperation type feild fix...I would weld those perches up rather than try and plan to weld em up better using this method out on the trail. If your perches let loose the diff would rotate hard enough to destroy the driveshaft most likely. This would mean the weld job wouldn't be that important anymore...

For a rod I'd go with a 7014 or 6013. Something that's real easy to use. You won't have any adjustment for 'heat' so you'll want a rod that can be easily used at almost any heat...

Rene

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

K, cool. I have seen articles that outline this repair welding, but of course I cant find em anywhere. The perches are tacked on pretty good, but like I said, they are far from permanant. I have been driving the truck normally, and havent babied it, including a nice little burnout in the auto shop, so I am fairly confident that they will hold as long I dont stray too far from sane. I am nearing the completion of my research into the cv rear shaft, (refer to other thread about NP205 o/p flanges) so I really dont want to make them any more difficult to get off and reposition.
    Thanks for the replies... wish me luck!

Mike

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

10. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

The petersons i saw that in was around a 97 or 98.