Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emergency Belts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

anyone used these? gonna toss one on the 4runner for the a/c so i dont have to take the other belts off...i know...LAAAAZZZY...just wondering if they hold up ok?

2. Confedneck

well ok i got it on and it was a little noisy for the first 10 miles or so, but since i upped the boost too i had to rag on it, id say it works ok, but its not tight enough...in case anyone was wondering, this is a great idea for emergency trail repairs..

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

There is a product called PowerTwist belts that some folks in industrial maintenance may be familiar with.

They are made from a poly material, can be made to length, and be used normally as a standard belt would be.

We use them on belt drives at the plant under all sorts of conditions, and they last just as long as rubber belts. Similar to the auto store emergency belt, but the material is much better.

Definitely a good thing to have along. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just my .02

Byron

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

can you post a source for these? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they are nice to have in the trail box for those just in-case times /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used one of those emergency belts on a road trip once...bought it just outside Waco and it lasted about 40 miles maybe? I ended up pulling the power steering belt off and adjusting the alternator so the PS belt would fit it...then drove without power steering.

I'd say it's good enough for a short term fix, but they don't last long.

Rene

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Would any of those work on a serpentine belt setup /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Yeah... didn't think so /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Confedneck

we'll see how long mine lasts, its stayin on there until its bought by someone else or it breaks...30 miles so far..btw did i mention i cranked my boost last night? woohoo LOL now its not such a turd..well it still is..maybe its more like a roach now? LMAO /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Confedneck

UPDATE!!

ok so i dont think it lasted very long...especially after hittin a downshift to 6k and spinnen em at 20..woot!...anyways i put a real belt on today, much better, but still dont use the a/c, did i mention its for sale?? LMAO /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif