Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emergency brake adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Jul 31, 2000.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

how is this accomplished?
    and if my emergency brake doesn't really work at all, even after adjustment, what does this indicate?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ON mine there is a cable streacher inline tward the rear that tightens everything up so when you apply the Ebrake the amount of distance it pulls your ebrake cable will be more.
    If that doesn't work then don't park on a hill, hehe[​IMG]JK
    If that doesn't work then I would start buy pulling your drum off and checking the cable/spring/lever setup!
    Good luck
    Rings of Smoke thru the Trees.........

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

When you take off the drum, there is a little wheel on the bottom in the center. It kinda looks like a gear. It's a left-hand thread. On the right side: turn it clockwise to tighten it and vice versa. On the left side: turn it counter-clockwise to tighten and vice versa. It only takes turning them a little bit to adjust them. Turn it until there is a slight drag when you try to turn the rear wheels. I am pretty sure that's how you do it, please correct me if it's not the right way.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm, I don't know if I'm confused, witch by the way is easy to do, but isnt that wheel for the regular brakes and to adjust it just drive backwards and hit the brakes several times, witch effectivly turns the little wheel BlazerGuy just mentioned. Does that also effect the Ebrake?? I don't know? I allways thought the Ebrake was all cable and spring?? Just like BlazerGuy said please correct me if I'm wrong!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    That "little wheel" adjust the rear brake shoes, which will effect the e-brake some and like you said NORMALLY just stomping on the brakes in reverse will adjust it fine (but not always since sometimes that wheel gets stuck).
    The E-brake adjustment is where Burt4x4 said. Just tighten it enough to take the slack out of the cable and then try them. If they still don't work you better pull the rear drums and see what's going on in there. (loose parts bouncing around would be a bad thing[​IMG])

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

According to my service manual, you should jack and block the rear of the truck,put it in neutral. push the parking brake pedal down 4 clicks and adjust the cable tension til there is slight drag at the wheels. The little star-wheels adjust the regular brakes and are often siezed (especially if you like the mud) so pull the drums and check them.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress