Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emergency brake cables

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jerseyk5, Feb 13, 2001.

1. jerseyk5

jerseyk5 Registered Member

I JUST INSTALLED A 14 BOLT SF REAR OUT OF A 95 STANDARD 8 FT. BED PICK UP IN MY BLAZER. THE EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLES THAT CAME WITH THE REAR ARE LONGER LONGER AND THICKER THAN THE ONES I HAD ON THE BLAZER. ANYBODY KNOW IF CABLES OUT OF A 3/4 TON SHORT BED WOULD WORK?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go to your parts store and ask for 83-87 K20 cables. These will work right in place of your too long cables. They will be the right length, too. There was never a short bed in the 3/4 ton version, only 1/2 tons. All cables from 83-87 K10's and 20's are the same lengths, but the clamp ends should be different. So, ask for K20 cables.

3. jerseyk5

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be heading down to the store tommorrow!!

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok,,,heres another one for you...my 14 ff has the equal length cables and my 89 10 bolt had the 1 long, 1 short.....i dont want to change the backing plates, so could i buy a new parking brake cable for an older model blazer???? i have heard that guys with older k5's didnt have to deal with it because all those years were the same....... my 14 ff is a mid to late 70's model...i have also thought about mounting a floor brake next to the t-case lever, sorta like a cars....the reason i ask is because my jimmy's cable needs to be replaced, so its not like i would be replacing a good part......thanks

AIRBORNE!!

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Take a look at the 14FF cables where they go into the backing plates. You will see they are held in place by two bolts. Now take a look at the 10B cables going into the plates. Those are held by three or four little prongs that just clamp to the hole. You can not interchange one for the other unless you change the plates. But if you are going to do a floor type shifter, I dont see why you cant just keep the older cables and run them equally to the mount. If you decide to change plates, search for the 83 and newer 3/4 ton plates since they are the direct interchange with the older 14FF plates and the cables will work for your application.

6. jerseyk5

I got the brake cables I needed for the 14blt sf swap. Just in case anyone is interested or doing the swap, the NAPA part #'s are 93254 and 93898.