Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emergency Brake/Disc conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Mar 24, 2006.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Ok so has anyone installed a inline hydrolock switch for an emergency brake after doing a rear disc brake conversion? Just wondering if thats an option?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Won't work as an emergency brake, just a parking brake, but it's definitely not recommended. Line locks can bleed off over time. I dont know if they're electrically held solenoids, but if they are, then when the line lock is applied, yer suckin' power from your battery, when the voltage drops too low, the solenoid will let go, no more parking brake.

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Yeah we talked about a elec. solanoid and thats what we figured too. But I think there are mechanical inline switches...and when I say emergency brake I mean park break.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Not a good idea.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I sure wouldn't use line-lock for that! It's for the strip, not for use as an EB (for reasons others have already stated). If you haven't done the conversion yet, either use calipers that have a cable-operated mechanical EB, or rotors that have a teeny drum brake built into the disk "hat" (like the old C3 Vettes). The cable-op caliper EB is what I'd prefer.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You can get an electrical or mechanical version of these brake systems. I've seen them on a lot of construction equipment and aircraft towing equipment. Also seen them fail. I'd stick with something mechanical that takes the hydraulics out of the equation.

7. Halfnut

Halfnut Newbie

Mico makes what you are asking for.
    http://www.mico.com/literature/blocks.php3
    I don't think they are legal parking brakes for the purpose of passing inspection, but they do work. I drove a truck with one for a while, it broke and the brakes failed, had to drive it home without brakes. Other than that, I liked it!