Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emergency brake pedal wont grab? help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Nov 15, 2000.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

My brakes are all new and adjusted but the emergency brake pedal wont hold when applied. It clicks down as pressure is applied but will not grab in the ratcheting position. any ideas? cables are adjusted and brakes are all new, the pedal just wont grab!Any suggestions guys

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You mean that the e-pedal won't stay down or that the brakes won't grab. If you mean it won't stay down I haven't dealt with that problem. I would start taking things about by the pedal and have a looksee. If the brakes just don't grab, then the rear adjusters may be backed off too far.
    Re-read your post, maybe the e-brake cables were adjusted down when the brakes were wearing, and now with new brakes there is too much cable adjusted out. This may not let the e-brake pedal move enough to catch the first tooth on the ratchet mechanism. You may try loosening the adjustment in your e-brake cable system to let the e-brake pedal travel a little farther.

Cruisin in my '73.

3. bennett

Thanks for the comments... the braked adjusters are adjusted properly and the cable is adjusted. The problem appears to be in the pedal actuator itself. This was a problem before I did the brakes, I thought it would solve once I put the new shoes on, but it did not.As the emergency
    brake pedal is applied I feel the tension of the brakes hitting the drum but the pedal itself wont grab, I hear it clicking as I apply more force. It just wont grab and hold. Its got to be a malfunction of the in cab pedal assembly. What do you think?

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There should be a little pawl or catch in there that stops the gear on the pedal in the down positon. When you pull the handle it moves the pawl and a spring pops the pedal back up. Sounds like the pawl is sticky or maybe your release handle isn't going all the way back in. Sounds like a job for WD40.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm with micheal on this one. the little pointy jammer ain't hookin' up with the gear thingy (stop me if I get too technical).
    If'n that therre WD40 don't do the trick, just get an e-brake pedal assembly from a parts rig. I bet almost any kind of chevy truck from your blazer's generation would work.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. bennett

Micheal you were right! I took ou the front seat so I could get a good look up under there and shot some brake cleaner on the mechanism, followed up with the WD40 and presto!!
    I thought I was in for one of those more difficult fixes so I was quite happy when the "easy fix " solved the problem.
    Footnote:
    I had to replace my brakes all the way around and the rear axle seals. Pretty simple job to do the seals. The best part about it was when I took my lifetime brake pads and shoes back to Autozone for warranty I was given all new pads and shoes under warranty ( they were worn bad) and I walked out after only spending $4.25 for the two seals. The last time I had replaced the brakes was 1993 and they had me on file. Gotta love that!