Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emergency Diagnostic Help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 20, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so my buddy and i went and picked up a 6.2 blazer from a dealer about 3 hours from our city yesterday, and ultimately got him to drop his price from 3 grand to 600 bux. (unknown, or unadmitted, to him there were a few problems with the truck - needless to say.) so we've got about two weeks to get this thing running strong for a dd, it'll go under the knife for offroad abuse later on.

here's the deal.

1. when you crank the steering wheel all the way to the right or left, an enormous catastrophic almost-popping noise is heard. i figure the p/s pump - which is no surprise b/c when we were checking out the motor, it was a 1/2 qt. low on fluid and who knows how it was cared for in the past.

2. the p/s pump and crank shaft pulleys have a serious crazy wobble, which is scary b/c of the 6.2's having problems with breaking crankshafts when they are out of balance. i didn't look for it specifically, but iirc i don't remember seeing a harmonic dampner. if that's the case, is this where i should start - by supplying one? i was thinking to take off the p/s and crank belt and seeing if the crank still wobbled, thought i would doubt that the p/s pulley would be able to cause the crank to wobble like that. how would you diagnose the crank? what would you look for?

3. the wiper blade motor doesn't work strong enough to move the blades - with assistance, it can get to the blades up all the way, and then get them back down by itself, but it won't go back up again. Suggestions on repair, or just replace the whole motor?

4. The tranny will not shift beyond 2nd gear. Should we deal w/ trying to fix it, or just swap in a good running 700r4/np208 tranny/tcase setup? he won't be wheeling hard enough to need to go tougher than a 208. If we should fix it - where should we start? I know nothing about tranny's yet, so this gives me a good opportunity to learn. also, the gearshift will not force the tranny to shift into first gear. it tried once at most, but the gearshift would not stay down in first - it immediately slipped up into second. not a big deal in the scheme of things right now, but maybe it's helpful info in terms of the whole tranny problem.

5. this is not too important in terms of meeting our 2 week deadline for having a stout dd, but the tcase won't shift into 4lo. i was pulling on that shifter like no one's business, and couldn't get it to go below neutral. i think this info may be helpful in light of pt. #4.

just another interesting piece of info - the owners were there and told us they spent more on the truck's "gorgeous" maaco paint job than we paid them for it. and actually, the body of this truck looks phenomenal, and the paint does look good. However, i think we got more for our money because they included the maaco overspray in the cost - the running boards look like hell. :)

thanks so much for your help. btw, if anyone is in beaverton and wants to lend a hand, let me know!

colbystephens.

2. colbystephens

anybody? is it because i'm long winded? ;) please help!

3. colbystephens

do you want me to rewrite these in shorter format? i've done some searching - but no direct match on these questions. i'll be tearing into this project this afternoon whatever the case, but i just don't want to spend his money needlessly. do my questions just suck? at least say that. please, i need your help! :D

4. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I know verry little about smokers, but I will give ya my $.02:wink1:
    I don't think the "pop" is the pump, I would gess steering joint or ball joint.
    I would get under there and wach all the steering linkage while some one turns the wheel lock to lock. If U don't see any thing move around then jack it up and check the ball joints.
    I have no idea on the balancer, but I would put a runout gauge on the crank snout and see what that tells ya. And as for the tranny......I say throw an SM465 in it my self, but if U want auto I would steer clear of a used 700R4, U might look @ TH350 or 400.

5. colbystephens

i appreciate the reply. i'm pretty sure it's not the ball joint(s). though, the more i think about it, i'm starting to think the pump is not my problem. so i think you have good advice to get under it and check the steering while my friend turns the wheel. we'd much rather put the sm465 into it - believe me. we're just considering the time factor, and since neither of us are proficient with cutting tools at this point, it would be a HUGE undertaking to swap in a manual. So we were thinking it's relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things to just swap in a properly working 700. i've been researching that some, and i've got an idea on where to start w/ diagnosing it. anyway, i do appreciate your help. any other ideas - anyone? :)

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The "pop" noise could be the power steering box is loose on the frame, or the frame is cracked. Have a friend turn the wheel as you watch/listen.

It isn't that your questions suck. You may have to be a little patient while waiting for a response. ;)

7. colbystephens

i'm sorry. i'm not trying to be impatient - i just have limited time, and it's never taken 3 hours to even get a very limited response, so i just began to get stressed. :) anyway, i'm wondering about the frame/box too. that was something on my list to check yesterday, but since we ended up getting such a low price on the truck, we picked it up and figured we'd deal with everything later. kind of dumb, i guess, but who doesn't love another project truck? when i tried to look, it was dark outside and i didn't have any light, so i figured i'd leave that till today.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No biggie, I understand. I can't be much more help, and good luck with the project.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

T-case not gong into 4-LO...the shifter has a detent IIRC. Pull it towards you or push it away from you and then into 4-LO.

Sounds like the harmonic balancer needs replacing. They are notorious for going bad.

Popping is usually cracked frame.

700R-4 is toast.

Rene

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

On the t-case, sounds like a 203. If it is, you're screwed. They never like to shift right. That was probably the best thing about swapping to a 205 for me, was getting rid of that stupid hurst shifter that the 203's came with. Talk about overcomplicating things.:doah: There is an adjustment procedure for the linkage, I've seen in somewhere. I can't remember where it is, and I've never done it before, sorry. My advice would be to disconnect the linkages and see if you can shift the case manually from underneath.