Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emision control equipment requirements?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durbin99, May 14, 2004.

1. durbin99

durbin99 Registered Member

I am currently living in California where the smog checks are pretty outrageous. Now I plan on moving to either Colorado or Texas in about a year and a half, and I was just wondering how strict each of those states are with the visual emission system inspection. I have a 83 K5 with a crate 350 that has none of the original emisions equipment installed. I have thorley headers with a dual exhaust, w/ cats.
    Would it be wise of me to start looking in junk yards for the emisions equipment to temporarily install for that check, or is it something I can get by with?
    Thank you in advance for all the great info you have provided.

Brent
    1983 K5 350 700R4

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try this for starters , lots of linked info here :

Colorado

3. pauly383

And try this :

Texas

4. durbin99

Thank you for that info, but I was really wondering how strict they are about the actual emisions equipment inspection and if I need to actually go put all that useless crap on?

Thanks again

Brent
    1983 K5 350 700R4

5. pauly383

How did you skirt Cali's laws ?

6. durbin99

I just swapped the engine and canned the old stuff because I wasn't planning on staying in Cali much longer. Now that I have been reading up on other states, I think I just screwed up majorly.

Brent
    1983 K5 350 700R4

7. pauly383

Did you toss it? Wont run bad with it on. Hell , I run a 305 with the a/c on and can still wheel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ryanvz1

ryanvz1 Registered Member

In Texas the futhest that most inspectors care is if your blinkers work, lights work, and if you have cats. Now if you know people none of those apply.

9. durbin99

Yeah, everything was tossed. The AIR pump and all the fittings with the stock manifolds, the thermo air cleaner, and I don't know what else. All I have on there that is still part of the emision equipment is the EGR and the cats. Guess it's shopping at the junkyard for me unless anyone has a better idea.......

Brent

10. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you do or don't have on yours now, but I know that in TX, they're not too strict on the visual...just as long as it passes emissions. as long as I've had mine, it's had no cats, no egr valve, charcoal canister never hooked...basically none of the emissions stuff. of, course...it never would pass emissions either, but...they never said anything about the visual, they were only worried about getting the right numbers on a screen. they do require you to have the duct running to your air cleaner, and the preheat tube running off your exhaust. and some places will tell you you gotta have the egr hooked up. and it also depends on where you live...some counties don't even have emissions testing, so you don't even have to worry about any of it at all. but basically, I wouldn't go out and start buying a bunch of crap to throw on it, until they tell you you have to have it.

11. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I'd say, if you have the EGR and cats, you're probably good to go. those probably would have made the difference between mine passing or not.