Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emisions stuff on a 76 k5 what all should i have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Dec 5, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

What will I need to get through DEQ and what will they be looking for? Right now it has headers with duals and chery bobmsfor exaust, and I have no smog stuff in the engine bay(smog pump, canister thing nothing). Any one know what i need or where i cn find out? Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I dunno your states laws but visual inspection on your year would require cats, charcoal canister, pcv valve, and possibly an EGR valve but I'm not positive. They'll also check the gas cap so if you lost it get one. I think the visual inspector could even get picky if you have an open element air cleaner rather than the factory one. Your best bet is to check your states laws.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

And where might i check my state laws?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the emissions sticker underhood will list the prefixes for all equipment, look those prefixes up somewhere, or call whoever tests vehicles to find out what they stand for, or post them here i might be able to lok them up

you should have EGR unless you are over certain GVW and its more than 1/2 ton

5. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I have a 78' GMC jimmy and just took it through DEQ.Smog equipment on these rigs depends on where the rig was originally purchased and will vary truck to truck.Mine is from Arizona originally and has no smog and it's a 78'(no cats,true dual exhaust,no EGR,No a.i.r pump ect).All my rig has is PCV,and a thermostatic air cleaner that I put back on for the visual inspection and it passes with no problem! This truck is an original sb400 truck. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to have a 49 state 76 blazer and all it had was a PCV, TAC, and Charcoal canister. No Cats, EGR, or smog pump.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I own a 76 K5 also, and my K5 never had any emision crap, not even a cat. in the exhaust system. If the factory never put it on, you don't need it.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cats didn't start for the most part till 78. The exception is CA and they just have alwasy sucked.

My 75 has a PCV valve....that's pretty well all of it's emmisions gear except the preheat pipe on the air cleaner.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Well i could do that exept it has an 84 front clip on it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifAnd EVERYTHING else has been bed linered by the previous owner (i hate that guy!) so im out of luck. All i got for info is the titel thats it. Wait I just realized that i could register it up at my cousins house (near Tilimook) where i wouldent even have to go through DEQ.Any one see a prob with that? also how would i go about doing that? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif