Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emission question 6.2 88'

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by woods, Feb 18, 2003.

1. woods

woods Registered Member

Emission question 6.2 88\'

Just recently got an 88' k5 blazer 6.2, and when comparing to my dads 6.2 85 burben. He doesnt have a big friggin EGR thing blocking 3/4 of his air intake. I'm wondering if I can possibly take all that crap off to increase my air flow to engine.

Woods

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Re: Emission question 6.2 88\'

You can pick up a heavy truck/ military intake that doesn't have it. They are actually quite common. Look at a the big box vans{Lays Potato Chip Vans almost always have 6.2/6.5s in them}. If I remember right, they are called P30s or something like that.

3. woods

woods Registered Member

well couldnt I just use my old intake and take off that EGR thing? I'm just wondering if there will be any side effects to taking it off, trying to find a manual to see what it excalty does.

woods

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    well couldnt I just use my old intake and take off that EGR thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dont take it off, alot of people plug the vacuum line that goes the the egr valve and have less smoke from the exuast. The heavy duty intake manifold has a larger opening with the egr mount and passages not cast in.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can take it off. You'll need to plug the hole underneath the EGR with an engine block freeze plug....I forget the exact size. There are exhaust gases running between the two heads in the intake directly underneath the EGR valve. If you remove the valve without plugging the hole, exhaust gases will escape into the intake.

There are two versions of the 6.2L....a light duty and heavy duty. The light duty is known as a "C" code, due to the C designation in the VIN. The heavy duty is known as a "J" code, for the same reason. The J code motors don't use an EGR. You can simply get a J code intake and bolt on in place of your C code.

There are two versions of the J code manifold, neither using an EGR setup. The pre '88 models are a dual plane, with a divider in the center. The '88 and later models are better and more free flowing with a single plane, completely open plenum....that is what I have on my '81. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use J code engines. Either version are better than the restrictive C code intakes.

Casey

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Much better said! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. woods

woods Registered Member

THANKS just the info I was looking for, and those j code intakes can be brought at thediesel page correct?

Woods

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You can purchase a used J code intake from The Diesel Depot, a Diesel Page supporter. The Diesel Page doesn't actually sell any products, other than reference materials.

Casey

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Look on ebay they are on there all the time.