Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emission requirements in Colorado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Feb 20, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum here and K5's as well. I just got a '79 Jimmy that's going to end up in Colorado but I'm not sure how strict the emissions laws are. I'm not sure if I'm going with a crate 350 or a 383 stroker. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, great site here!

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, as a 79, the only requirements are a catalytic converter and unleaded gas tank filler. At least that's all they told me when I e-tested my 79 K10 two weeks ago. BTW, as a 79 you will be eligible for 5 year classic tags. This is the smarter way to go. With this, you only need to e-test every 5 years. Otherwise, it's a yearly requirement for a 79.

3. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mark. Does the 5 year classic have an annual mileage limit or something similar? That sounds fine to me, as this truck will see offroad use only, aside from an occasional run into town. I'm pulling the stock 350 out so I wasn't sure if it would be legal after the swap. I'm in California, so things are a little more strict here I guess. You mentioned having a cat converter and unleaded gas tank filler. Not sure what this last part means re: gas tank filler.

So are the inspections only visual in some areas? Thought I saw something about testing exhaust emissions. This will complicate the build a bit, but nothing that's a deal breaker or anything.

Anyway, I can't wait! Getting Dana 60 and Corp 14 bolt next week. Should beef it up a bit. This is a great forum and I'm glad I've found it!

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    unleaded gas tank filler is the fuel inlet just under the gas cap has to be proper size and type for unleaded gas. Also emissions are only required on the front range from Fort Collins to I believe Pueblo. Other further outlying areas don't require emission testing. There is a sniffer test at the tailpipe and a visual. I am curious if they would look for smog pump?? I haven't had to deal with emissions in a few years. :D

5. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Pueblo has no emmisions testing.:waytogo: What part of CO are you moving to?

6. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'm not moving to Colorado, but my wife's parents got some property near Montrose/Telluride to retire on. Do you know if that area is covered? It's about 12 hours from here, so we're going to making the trip now and then for some good offroading. This truck will by my father-n-law's, but I'm building it up for him. Then a buddy and I will drive it out. Thanks again for the info.