Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emission Stuff on a 84 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zx672, Apr 18, 2004.

1. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Excuse me if this question has been asked. Got an 84 K5 with a 305 in it. The motor runs great so I can not justify a new 350. But who has ripped all that emission stuff off? If so, better performance?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

All of mine is gone except for the PCV valve, the vapor cannister, and the thermatic air cleaner neck. Seeing that you live in a warm place like Texas you can eliminate the EFE valve- I shouldn't have, though, because I no longer get warm air forced through the crossover which has resulted in boggy starts in cool, humid weather......

Probably the best thing you can do performance-wise is pull out the charcoal prefilter inside your aircleaner housing.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Believe it or not, if it came with it it will run good with it in place. You will not be able to really feel the power removing egr and smog pump. Mine runs like a top too, all I did was remove some if the redundant hoses and ported switches I don't need in warm weather and removed efe also. All else remains, including egr and smog, and have no power problems (btw I also have highway gears and 33's). If you wanted some gains , get exhaust upgrades and new intake manifold /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 that had all the emissions stuff pulled and dual exhaust installed. I had to reinstall all the emissions stuff and put single exhaust and a cat on it along with the AIR pump and such. If your rig has the emissions stuff on it and it isn't giving you problems I would leave it because eventually emissions will come to your area. I never thought I'd have to deal with it in the remote area I live and now I had to blow over $500 and countless hours in salvage yards for the parts I needed to pass.

Unless you are making a trail only rig in which case I'd say yank it all off to simplify the engine bay.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

IIRC, Houston has smog checks...