Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emission System Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rowdysr, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

Hey Guys - HELP!!!!- My son-in law just bought an 86 full size Blazer with a 305. Someone cut out all of the vacuum lines and it appears threw away some emission parts. Any info. would be appreciated. The EGR bleed solenoid and the distributordelay valve are missing - if they were ever there. We have to get this baby running this week. Thanks!!! Rowdy

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Re: Emission System Help *DELETED*

Post deleted by Blazer_Boy

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have the hayes repair maual for 67-91 blazers and burbans and it has all of the vacume hose diagrans in it. i strongly suggest you get your hands on the diagrams. and take your time not to cross any conections or youll be doing it again.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

While you're at it why not rip out the ultimate performance killer, the catalytic convertor. Most of us on this page do not use them because they've acted up.

<hr></blockquote>

Umm Blazer_Boy, might I suggest that you speak for yourself or your own experiences only.
    First of all I would guess the majority of trucks owned by people on this site still have their cats, if their trucks came with cats originally.
    Secondly, a functioning catalytic convertor does very little to hurt performance, but very definitely lowers emmissions quite a bit. There are even high-flow performance cats available now.
    So give our kids' lungs a chance to develop and stop advocating the removal of emmissions equipment.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Man, I sympathize with you, I had a truck just like that. Took me a month to finally get it back to working order. Luckily I had a buddy with the similar setup, and I copied what he had. Took some time to get the parts though... As to the idea of running without emissions, I have never agreed with those that say it isn't worth having- If you can tell the difference between 2 or 3 horsepower(without a dyno)hmmmm................

[​IMG]

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Before you remove any emmissions because your state or whatever dosent have emiss laws...dont!.....They might in the future and that will leave you scrambling for parts.....As far as the vac routing there should be a relly self explainitory sticker on the rad bulkhead, Haynes or others arent going to give to much more than that

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Amen Rene, I put in a whole new exhaust and went with the performance convertors ($125 a piece times two). Didn't really need them by Oklahoma law, but with my job, I may be in Seattle, Huntsville or who knows next and will probably need them there. They did reduce the noise level of the exhaust a little and I haven't noticed any performance loss.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat. Being in the military, I get sent all over the place. I just picked up an '82 K5 and someone seemed to plug the hoses whereever they would fit. Runs a lot better with everything routed right. I used to believe that if it had to do with emissions equipment it was better of removed. The problem is you always seem to mess something else up when remove a component. Everything is designed to work together. It's just easier to keep it all working.

Wheels,
    Where are you at in OK? Just got notified of a set of orders coming down the pipeline--looks like I'm Altus bound.

Smitty

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I second that, Smitty. It seems that whenever you change one thing to get a little improvement or simplify the setup, you create two more things that you have to mess with. There are a lot of backyard mechanics who are sure that they understand how everything is working better than the engineers who designed and tested it.

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I may have all the parts you need. I had a junkyard motor (well it was a crate motor 10k in a totaled 85) that I installed in my wifes 79. I kept the 79 emmisions and boxed the 85 emmisions crud. Should all be there other than some of the lines going to the canister, heck they may even be there. The canister isn't here and the bracket for the air pump is gone also. I do have the air pump and air exhaust manifolds. Should have all the valves your looking for also. As I recall there was a valve on the passenger side valve cover and a splitter with some sort of valve the connected the two manifolds. The truck I pull the engine from had a recent emmisions sticker so I would asume it all works. Can't help you on the routing though.
    Tired of tripping over the stuff. If you need it make me an offer plus shipping and I can box it and have it headed your way. Most of it is pretty light other than the manifolds and pump. If you have the right manifolds then that will save you a few bucks shipping. The inlet pipes on the manifolds are light and I'll happily seperate them.
    Now on your truck it should have a Carb with electric mixture control. There will be a plug on the top of the carb with 2 wires. Those things SUCK! the mixture controll fails all the time and a very expensive carb. I belive a 79 Carb will have all the correct vacume connections and it can be modified to handle electric choke.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Altus??, ouch. That's in the southwest coner of the state. Have you got AC up and running in that K5??? I live 22 miles east of OKC but work in OKC (Retired AF).

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

At least the southwest corner of the state puts him closer to 4-wheeling in Colorado! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Boy those engineers must be geniuses. On the 1969-75 Blazers, there are 2 possible setups. From 1976 to 82, there are 149, thats right 149. Don't believe me, count em for yourself, Chilton Blazer/Jimmy repair manual 1969-82 page 4-19 to 4-46, they just copied all the hood diagrams. I mean it must be extremely important not to change anything because there only 12 different setups for the base 1981 engine. Early emmisions were one great expirement, 149 of them. If you look on the sticker for an '89 it bears a resembalence to the originals, it uses fuel injection though, somethings are different. They keep changing the setup in attempt to get back original performance. They didn't use this setup because they love the enviroment, the government mandated it.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

14. TruckMaster2k

TruckMaster2k Newbie

WTF? Cat cost money, I know it's a revelation to you, but hell...if you drive a 79 blazer, you obviously aren't loaded. Why not throw some stacks on --- or maybe even some side pipes...What a b itch machine that owuld be...