Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions and Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 15, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about putting on a set of headers on my 85 k5. It has 350 (hence my name...) the previous owner intstalled and oops what do ya know they managed to leave off all of the emissions. Well this was cool until the exhaust rusted off, now I am trying to find some one to bend a custom dual exhaust and install and no one wants to do it. I want to bolt up a pair of headers and bolt up an exhaust but I cant find anything that accomodates my situation. Is there a tube bender available that a person could bend an exhaust at home, or anything after market that anyone knows of?

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Summit sells a decent Dynomax 2-1/4" dual exhaust kit thats a bolt-in with their headers. They're both fairly reasonable in price, too.

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

For what reason will no one do the exhaust? They shouldn't have a problem doing an exhaust that would match the original Federal Emissions. Of course that may be your problem, I think single outlet is stock/emissions. I have a friend who owns a Meineke & they can't do anything legally, in violation of original Fed emissions.

A couple pages back, someone shared a tip that might help. If I remember correctly, he spoke to a pipe shop. They told him to use brake line (or other mallable material) to create the shape of what he wanted. They custom bent mandrel pipes for him and he bolted up an exhuast system real cheap. If the measurements & pipe work is done right, that should work with just pipe clamps.

Good luck & let us know if we can help w/ anything else.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Not only does Summit sells the dual exhaust system with the headers, so does J.C. Whitney. They are like $100 for the headers(Flowtech) and like $125 for the dual exhaust system. Check it out.
    Boss

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Is their reluctance to help you because you have no catalytic converters? Had that problem once on Oregon, ended up buying two high flow cats to not only get the work done but make the rig legal. Inspections and sniffers are a pain in the posterior.........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It is because of the cats and the cats only, they dont realy care about the air pump, egr, etc... What do yall think about side pipes?? I think I could bolt a pair up but Im not too thrilled about looking like the mystery machine!

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Get the cats, ace the side pipes......that's for Scooby and Shaggy LOL

I hate spending money on cats, but no other way to get it through emissions anyplace I have lived.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The cheapest cats I've seen ar $50 catcos in summit racing. If you really want performance cats, get Random Technology, but they are about $250 each[​IMG]

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

9. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I know someone who took some boneyard cats, hollowed them out with a hole saw then slid them onto his existing system and put clamps to make it look legit. He says that 3 gallons of methanol racing alcohol in the tank makes anything pass emmisions.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

you mean pass right by the emissions station! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

11. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hedman makes headers for you rig with the air injector pipes installed. A little pricy, but your legal.