Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions/carbs/motors.......will it ever end

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Apr 9, 2005.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

emissions/carbs/motors*****IT PASSED*****

It passed :woot: The idle HC went from 1026 to 250!!!!!

This is great!!!!!!!

Thanks to Mosesburb......I did "richen" the mixture as suggested and apparently it worked!

Thanks,

Andrew

Well, I’ve done all I can think of to try and get this thing through emissions. I’ll be burning a couple of candles, praying to the gods of Chevy, throwing some salt over my shoulder and avoiding black cats until Monday morning when I try it again.......I hope it passes :dunno:

I do have one question for you Edelbrock carb guy’s, as you face the vehicle, which side is the fuel adjustment screw on, Right or Left. I currently have both the Air/Fuel screws set at 1 ¼ turn out. I would like to try and “lean” it out as much as possible just before the test. I’m hoping by reducing the fuel at idle it will reduce the HC readings.

I know the rings are shot in this motor so if it doesn’t pass this time, I’m going to pull it and do a basic rebuild. So the question I have concerns the 4 speed. If this were an Auto I would simply unbolt the torque converter and separate motor from tranny. Being a 4 speed can something similar be done? As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’ve never owned a rig with a stick in it so this will be a first for me.

If anyone has a running 350 (that’s in decent shape) they want to get rid, please let me know, I may be interested in it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to add fuel (richen) to reduce HC. You lean the mixture out to reduce CO.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Bummer. You know the rings are shot? How so? If you are getting oil in most of the cylinders, it will never pass emissions. Oil in the cylinders actually leans it out (less fuel to burn), thereby increasing HC, like Nick said. That's how I see it...

Anyway, pull the tranny and t-case first. You're going to replace the clutch and do any needed maintenance to the tranny and tcase since you have it apart, right?

Good luck!

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I passed the sniffer test but failed when they looked under the hood and noticed the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner was not fully on.
    So I pushed it back on, went back though the line, and FAILED the sniffer test. Evidently the crankcase gases can make a big difference if you pass or fail, and since your rings are shot, it dont look good. But you could cheat. That is to plug up the hose real good and hook it back up so it looks functional. This might help get you by untill next year. :grin:

5. teamhickman

Well, I did both a wet and dry compression test during the tune up I did and saw dry pressure around 120 and wet pressures around 140. The lows were 85 dry and 110 wet. In addition, you can see it burning oil at low engine rpm. Once you get around 2500 rpm it tails off but as soon as you let off and cylinder pressure drops it starts to smoke again. It is very light, not like a mosquito sprayer but it is there.

Everything I see indicates bad rings, it doesn’t do the start up "puff" of smoke that would indicate a valve issue. Since the initial emissions test passed the loaded HC test but failed the idle test I was hoping that I could “tune” it enough to get through…..wishful thinking!

So if it fails on Monday, I’ll need to locate a decent machine shop and get started. I went by AZ speed and marine last week but they are very expensive.

Thanks,

Andrew

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

The compression does not look bad, its the difference between cylinders. It should not be more than 10% between cylinders. I.E. dry 120psi to 85 psi indicates you may have something going on with the low cylinder. Ive got engines with worse reading though emissions, so dont give up yet. If you have it running too lean [Causing lean misfire] the fuel/air mixture may not ignite consistantly, and the unburnt fuel will cause you to fail. This can be cause by a vacuum leak.
    Here is a good trouble shooting site. Try it out. :grin:
    http://www.recarbco.com/technical/smog/smoginfo.html

7. teamhickman

it passed!!!!!!!!!!

It passed :woot: The idle HC went from 1026 to 250!!!!!

This is great!!!!!!!

Thanks to Mosesburb......I did "richen" the mixture as suggested and apparently it worked!

Thanks,

Andrew

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool :D

When ya feel its ready to hit dirt hit me up . I will wheel when its warmer , although weekend nights and early mornings work too :grin:

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

did somebody say night run?? :cool1:

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Night run? We think we finally have the oil leak at least staunched for now. Where are all those old driving lights I used to have? :o

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lights , who needs lights , we'll use Tj's blinding gigawatt of overheads and his disco ball on the ceiling :pimp: