Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Considerations when swapping motors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Oct 20, 2006.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

My sister's boyfriend is interested in swapping a newer fuel injected motor (ramjet 350) (87 and up tbi?). What does he need to run to maintain emissions compatability.

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

In AZ they are going to look at the emission sticker under the hood. If the engine conforms to that diagram, you have cats and the numbers from the tests are good, they will pass you.

EDIT: Just make sure that you get the right diagram for the engine you are running.

I have seen places that sell replacement stickers. I don't remember where I saw them right now. I think it was LMC or Chevyduty but not sure. Anyone seen them around?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can run a newer motor , or newer injection setup if it all looks right . Hossbaby50 ( Harley ) passes AZ smog with TPI in his 85 .

They could care less as long as you have what you need , like EGR etc .

I can't wait for the state and EPA to get the older vehicle exemption thing done . Its coming :

In 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357, which amended the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) at § 49-542 to authorize the exemption of certain collectible vehicles and motorcycles from being subject to the emissions testing requirements. The legislation exempts collectible vehicles in the Phoenix testing area and collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson testing area, pending approval by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).