Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Sep 16, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I actually have two questions. First I'm replacing my radiator and flushed the system and drain most of the system's water. Still I'm sure the block has some water in it. About how much water does the block store? The second question is about air pumps. I have had a tick in my car all summer. I replaced the exhaust manifolds still there, adjusted valves, still there.I was about to just give up but i noticed something. when taking off my belts I spun the air pump. tick, tick, tick there it was. Upon further investigation I discovers if I take of the hose that runs from the airpump to the exhaust manifolds on just one side the tick is gone. Connect it again both sides tick. Anybody have any ideas on this?

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hey!

If you have a gardenhose handy just duck-tape it to the lower radiator hose and turn on the water. Then start the engine and let it idle til you feel it's done.

Air-pump? My english sucks, but do you mean the fan-clutch.? They go bad sometimes..

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

if you get under the truck and look at the sides of the engine just above the oil pan each side will have a bolt that goes into the water jacket's. Remove the bolts to drain the block. There is about a gallon still in the block. There may be some sediment in the bottom of the block and you may need to poke in the hole to get it busted up to drain. If the water pump is still off you can run some water in the open ports to flush the block out some. If not The you could run some warter in from the heater hose that connects to the intake and see if that will flush it out some.

Never messed with the air injection stuff but reasoning says that the noise is air going into the exhaust. It may be that the air is causing some small explosions of un burnt fuel in the exhaust manifolds. This would happen if the truck is running rich since there is not enough air in the cylinder to get a full burn. It may be that this is the point to reduce emisions. It may mean you need to lean the engine down some. I would do some reading up on this in a Good shop manual to find out if this is normal. I noticed that on the doaner motor I put in my 79 that had the air injection on it that the manifolds has indications of being extremely hot leading me to belive that there still may have been some combustion going on in them.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The air pump does a twofold job, first it adds compressed air to the exhaust to reduce the mixture to alleviate the possibility of backfire and also thin the final mixture prior to exiting the exhaust pipes to reduce the emissions.
    If you think about it...it really does not do much...it is like watering down a drink, you still get drunk...it just takes a bit longer. I removed mine, gained a bit of power and replaced the exhaust with afterburner headers, new dual cats and turbo mufflers....no backfires yet...and still within emission standards...