Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Info - AZ

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Hey guy's,

I have been searching but wasn't able to locate much information on the emissions requirements for 1975 and earlier vehicles here in Phx.

Anyone familiar with this? I checked the DMV website but didn't have much luck.

I'm curious to see if CAT's will be needed and to find out if they do an "under hood" inspection.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

On my '73 Jeep CJ5 w/ 304 V8 they do not lift the hood during inspection. They only dyno it (sniffer) and do the gas cap test on it. I do not have a cat on it.

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

78 1/2 was the first time for cats in AZ. You need a proper PCV valve system (basically venting your valvecovers into the air cleaner). There is the normal gas cap test and that is about it. I say take it like it is and see what fails, get your 60 day pass and go from there (that is what I do at least). They only charge you for the passing test in those 60 days (basically 2 tests for the price of one).

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If its 75-back , they don't pop hood . 75-up , you need what is listed on the radiator support sticker . So look there and se what it says . Mine is an 83 and I have to have egr/a.i.r/pcv/catalyst/unleaded fill pipe , and gas cap .

They don't really care on the hose routing as long as it looks good and every system is present for your year . I cleaned mine up a little by deleting all the ported vacuum switches , and running everything direct to ported vacuum on the carb .

You can remove the EFE riser form the exhaust manifold , they don't check for that , or they don't care .

I always tune it up once a year and replace the plugs/wires/cap/rotor , change oil and filters , and drive to the station on Greenfield making sure to warm it up . And pass with flying colors .

If you fail I can help you make it look right :D

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

just to add to the info, if your 74 still has the full time hubs its a idle only test :grin: