Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rox84K5, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Rox84K5

Rox84K5 Registered Member

I'm new to the site. This looks like a very well done site. I bought my '84 Blazer while still living in Texas some time back but have moved to Colorado. The previous owner dismantled the smog equipment. Where can I find detailed information on its smog equipment and whether it is a California vehicle and what affect that has on its smog equipment suite?

--James

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll chime in just because no one else has. In your case, I think the difference between CA and Federal is solely on how closely they inspect it : )

CA is supposed to be pretty bad, no clue about CO. As far as I remember, they "limited" emissions on the trucks destined for CA by changing the engine/tranny/axle ratios only. I don't believe cams, etc., were any different in the motors, as the same compression ratio, etc., is listed for them in the dealer manuals.

As an '84, you'll have, and are Federally required (what came on your vehicle) to have, an AIR pump, single exhaust to single cat converter, PCV, EVAP, and EGR. Not sure if I missed anything, but those are the biggies. AIR is the one with all the lines that I can imagine would be hard to "put back".

If you have a visual in CO, you'll have problems likely. If no visual, some good tuning and some good tricks, and you'll pass.

3. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

Check with your local smog shops in Co. If you find one that's not real busy sometimes the tech will give you a quick visual check and can check the book for requirements at no cost. Also check under your hood. Barring an accident or someone just peeling it off, there should be an emission label usually above the radiator on top, on the wheel well or sometimes right on the air cleaner. If it's there it will tell you all the requirements needed for your vehicle