Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions instal gone bad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88trailblazer, Jul 4, 2005.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Alright heres the situation. I just installed the AIR pump, lines, and manifolds on my '88. The previous owner had taken them all off, but the fumes were to strong. So i decided that I can live without the extra horsepower as long as I can open the back window without passing out.

The 1st problem is that I can't find the wire that connects to the diverter valve. I'm not sure if he cut the wire because I don't know where the wire comes from. Any help or pics would be great.

The 2nd problem is that now even though the engine idles better, the fumes are still strong. Even worse, and more importantly, the trannny doesn't seem to be shifting right. The tranny is shifting into 2nd gear to late and it doesn't shift into 3rd gear. I'm getting really frustrated with this and I'm even thinking of pulling everything back off so any help or advise would be great.

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

as of right now, i can't say i even remeber seeing a wire going to my diverter valve..just vaccume line..
    and my exhaust fumes were really strong, until i put the catalitic convertor back on when i had to get it smogged..the fumes are not as bad now..

anyways its about 1:45pm here on the west coast, and i just woke up..so give me a few, and i'll take the cell phone out and snap some pictures of my smog pump and diverter valve setup, then i'll post them up here for you.

as for the tranny, gonna have to see who else posts up, because sounds like you have a auto, and i run a 465

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok snapped a few pics..and yeah there is no wires going to the diverter valve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Follow the vacuum line from the diverter valve back to its source. There may be a solenoid that controls vacuum to the valve.

5. 88trailblazer

I guess they changed diverter vavles throughout the years because mine looks completely different. I did follow the vacuum line back and i found 1 wire but the connection is different and it doesn't reach the valve. Maybe I'm just missing a 1ft long adaptor or something. Oh yeah my tranny is a 700r4.

Thanks for the pics sheoldeblaze.

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Yea, that looks more like the heater comtrol valve to me....then again the pic is blurry.
    The diverter valve circuit is designed to open during part throttle or decellerating.
    The previous person probably snipped the wires at the harness very close to the solenoid and if you are lucky you can find them and reattach.
    Re-installing the emission control may not cure the problem if there is a exhaust leak elsewhere than the emission control circuit of pipes and hoses.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

no its the diverter valve, comes right up off the back of the smog pump, and the big hose you see is a air hose going to the air injectors, and the little vaccume line you see..well if you don't have that hooked up to the right vaccume it will back fire like a mother when you let off the gass

8. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Oops....my bad :blush:
    It's the top picture that screwed me up

Man, It's been so long since i even looked at a Air injection Reactor pump (pretty fancy name for the POS).

The extent of my emissions control system is a 10 degree vacuum advance canister.......:whistle:

9. 88trailblazer

Well I found out the tranny problem was just a cable issue. But I still need help with the diverter vavle wire. :confused:

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I thought some of the TBI trucks didn't come with AIR, especially the first couple of years. If you had to install the manifolds, is there a chance that your truck isn't original with AIR?

Not only that, but not all AIR setups were electronically controlled, at least not in ECM-less applications. (non-CCC, carbed)

11. kram

kram Registered Member

air pump

my baby has both vac. and a two wire harness,maby six inches long from
    the egr harness pink and a black.single pipe in # 1 and # 2 exhaust port.
    i tried to insert pic but can't paste.[/IMG]

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is exactly how mine is and it looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the electrical connection on the end of the diverter and the vacuum line in the center of the diverter. Also you can see the single inlet to the passenger header. Drivers side is identical.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think putting all that stuff back on is going to help you with your fume problem. The A.I.R. system only operates when the engine is cold. It helps the cat convertor heat up and burns off the excess hydrocarbons in the rich fuel mixture needed when the engine is cold. After the engine warms up the divertor valves close and the air is vented to the atmosphere not thru the cat/exhaust..

14. 88trailblazer

Thanks for the help and pics everyone.

Yea, i know it won't solve the problem completely. But it wouldn't hurt,... just a couple horses.