Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Parts Needed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I need the hard lines for a '72 Blazer that connect the tank to the vent standpipe and to the charcoal canister (the ones that mount to the rear most crossmember on the frame).

2. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I'm just curious why you'd want to maintain emission parts of your Blazer. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great some people try keep theirs rigs in clean factory shape (if that's what you;re doing)... it's just it seems that finding and replacing some of these odds parts is more hassle than it's worth, especially given that our pre-73's are SMOG exempt (for now anyway) in CA.
    Erik

3. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

i probably have what you are looking for(lots of parts trucks), but i have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry, are you talking about the gas tank vent tube that has the 3 lines going into it? anyhow email me at kilomanjaro63@hotmail.com if you are interested

4. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    I'm in the process of redoing the Jimmy, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Looks to me like these 3 lines have relatively simple bends, and I am planning to duplicate thm in stainless. Should be no step for a master fabricator like you. Good luck.
    JB

6. Steve_Chin

ErikH, the evaporative emissions equipment doesn't hurt anything performance-wise and can increase the life of a fuel tank by separating water from the air that's venting into the tank.

Another common misonception if that there are vehicles in CA that are exempt from emissions standards. That is definitely not the case for anything built in or after 1964. Vehicles made prior to 1974 are exempt from the inspection, but not exempt from having to meet the emissions requirements. Our wonderful State Government is trying to repeal the inspection exemption and they are also trying to put remote-sensing equipment into place in order to bust those of us who have modified our vehicles. The remote-sensing equipment will be equipped with cameras and shoot photos of the vehicle and license plate numbers while recording the emissions levels. The vehicle will be ordered into the referee system for inspection if the measurements are too high (this is currently legal, but the exemption of mandatory inspection is yet to be repealed).

7. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    Yeah, I was aware of the regs on the inspection exemption for our pre-74's, but I didn't realize the benefits of the emissions equipment related to the canister.

I have a feeling that a well tuned, mildly modified V8 without emissions equipment would burn cleaner than an older factory engine with old emissions equipment. And it'd sure suck getting cited for running an aftermarket carb or manifold knowing this. I imagine the key to avoid getting cited by these remote devices is to avoid a radical cam (or rich mixture).

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I don't know about out in California, but in Colorado Springs my 72 blazed through the emissions test with my 383 and radical cam, no sweat..........

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

9. Steve_Chin

You're pretty much roght on there, ErikH. FWIW, my Trans Am passes smog even with a pretty wild cam and head setup. Part of the equation is in getting the tuning just-so, the other part is selecting parts and combinations of parts that have CARB EOs.