Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Jun 17, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Took my first emissions test for this year and didn't pass. Here's the numbers
    25/25 test
    HC ppm- reading 153 allowed 148
    Everything else on the 25/25 test passed

50/15 test
    HC ppm- reading 227 allowed 152
    CO% reading 1.93 allowed 1.36
    Everything else passed

Here's some history on the truck:
    84 with 305 and quadrajet with about 150K miles. New cat last year. Truck runs pretty good except some smoke on startup (valve seals), and I get a fuel smell on the highway while decellerating after cruising for a while.It has new ignition wires and vac hoses, but I've never checked the dist. All the emis. crap is still there except for the AIR system. Passed last year with it disconnected so I took it off. The spark plugs foul up every couple thousand miles, so I usually change them out every other oil change but it's been a while since I did that so they probably look like crap. Haven't checked the egr or pcv since last year so they're probably not far from the plugs.
    Didn't do anything to the truck before testing. Warmed it up for about 20 min. and put the timing at about 4 btdc. Didn't want to buy anything until I tested since every cent counts towards exemption.
    Planning on new plugs, pcv, running a couple tanks of reg. with emissions pass stuff, knocking some crap out of the egr.
    Any other suggestions? Does that fuel smell on decell sound like fuel blowing by a fouled plug, or should I look at working on the carb? (I know unburned fuel will raise that HC #)
    Thanks

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Tune it up, then before the test, drive the vehicle for 10 mile's or so,at highway speed, and then go to the test shop. Let it run while waiting, don't shut it off, You want it to be hot before the test.

3. georgiared84

Yeah, That's what I did this time. Guess I'll do that tune up and see.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, if your plugs are fouling up that fast the carb is probably runnning too rich. Leaning it out will, obviously, also lower the HC #. Make sure to change the filters too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. georgiared84

How do you lean out a q-jet? All the filters are new.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Forgot the "guaranteed pass" stuff (I've known people to fail with it, so it's not 100%) and just run a fair amount of alcohol.