Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike's85K5, Apr 9, 2000.

1. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I just purchased a '85 K5 from Georgia that I plan to rebuild. The former owner has removed all of the emissions equipement from the truck. I was wondering if somebody could tell me what was supposed to be on the truck for emissions equipement. Was there a computer in '85? NH is starting emissions testing in July, so the truck is going to need the equipement when finished.

Thanks, Mike

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 that has the CA high altitude stuff. Here's the short list.

No computer in the traditional sense. There is a knock sensor attached to the distributor that retards timing when knocking is present. The sensor is attached by a separate lead to the distributor and resides on top of your glove box. It's silver and about the size of paper back book. A replacement costs about 170 or so.

The distributor has two leads. One 4 plug where the normal 2 wire lead sits. Part of this is connected to the knock sensor. The second lead is through the fire wall to the knock sensor. The by-pass on the 4 plug lead if the knock sensor is dead is a jumper from A to C wire. They're labled.

The exhaust system has a single 2 way converter with air injection at the exhaust manifolds. The air injection is provided by an air pump driven by the crank.

There's a charcoal canister on the drivers side located behind the head light. It's attached to the carb and the fuel tank.

PVC valve and ERG.

Sealed idle mixture screws on the Q-jet.

Oh yea, one more thing. There's a charcoal filter in the air box. Looks like a second air filter.

I'm sure I missed something here but this is the lions share.

The good news here most of the stock parts can be improved with aftermarket parts. Hedman headers, Edlebrock intake manifold, couple of carbs...blah, blah, blah.... You get the idea.

Good luck.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have the correct distributor with the harness and ECU (missing the knock sensor). I also have all the Air pump gear with a fairly new pump, all the hoses and manifolds if you need them. To bad you didn't know when you were down here picking up the truck. I live in Atlanta.
    If you need any of it make me an offer. I'm tired of tripping over this stuff. Only thing missing is one of the brackets that holds the air pump on. Manifolds are in good shape and I have all the wacky solinoids and stuff like that...you get to figure out where they go :) I transplanted an engine out of an 85 into my 79 so I didn't need to put that stuff on...just collecting dust.
    I sold off the carb but the vehicle is supose to have a carb with electric mixture control. They are very prone to screwing up is what I hear. It is also a fairly rare carb. IMhO if your having trouble with that carb try to locate a carb that is just prior to any electrical junk on it. You will be able to tune it to work fine and pass the sniffer and it will probably be more reliable.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

Thanks for all the info, it's going to be helpful. Just one more question though, if there isn't a so-called ECM in the truck then there isn't a diagnostic plug under the dash, right? I just got info today that NH is only going to be testing vehicles with plugs for diagnostic computers. Does this make any sense?

Thanks, Mike