Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86chevk5, Feb 6, 2003.

1. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

I have a 86 k5 blazer and I want to remove all the emissions off the top of the engine. i want to put a new truck avenger and a edellbrock performer intake but im not sure what goes and what stays because i have an electric carb that runs off sensors on the engine and that thing is a piece of crap so i want to do away wit that but if anyone knows please help and if you have pics of you doing it that would help to. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

On my 85 I removed everything except egr, vacuum advance, and the transmission vacuum switch on the firewall. Just make sure you cap and plug EVERYTHING

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've planned how you will pass emissions without it? I know we don't have visual, but you won't make passing easier.

How many electrical plugs on the carb? If 2, you'll have to replace the carb and distributor to get rid of ANY of the wiring in the engine bay.

If there are two electrical plugs on the carb, I'm just outside of Seattle, and would be willing to take it off your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What are the emissions laws in your state? I'm assuming there aren't any, otherwise you wouldn't be wanting to remove your emmisions stuff.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Another thing to remember is that *some* of your emission equipment is in place to help your truck warm up properly. If cold weather isn't an issue then go crazy and pull the following off:

-AIR pump
    -All the plastic and steel air lines(the steel ones can be a real bitch to remove from the exhaust manifold, however)
    -All the AIR check valves(they kind of go together with the air lines)
    -EFE valve(you'll have to either extend your exhaust or buy a spacer)
    -I unplugged my EGR valve(some guys choose to keep theirs hooked up)
    -Disconnect your ESC computer(I believe this may require you to get ahold of a non-ESC distributor)
    -You can also remove your catalytic converter

Make sure you leave the PCV valve and the evaporation canister in place and properly hooked up.

That's about it from me, brother!!!

5. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What are the emissions laws in your state? I'm assuming there aren't any, otherwise you wouldn't be wanting to remove your emmisions stuff....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in the county we are in, you have to pass a sniffer/treadmill test.

You can pass it with a lot of emissions stuff missing, but you just make it harder on yourself.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You problem is a bad sensor or a bad mix solonide in the carb. Personnaly I hate that model Quad. I would find a quad from about a 79-82 or so just before that mix soloniode. That will run the rest of the emmisions gear PROPERLY so it will pass but do away with the troublesome part. The only two things that are in any way on that truck that are sucking up power is the Air pump and the Cats. If you remove either you don't pass. The resto of the vacume lines and junk is EVAP or the controls for the Air pump and not hurting power at all.
    I personnaly stay as far away as I can from anything that Say's HOLLY including Quads rebuilt by Holly.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

swap in a chunk of a pre-emmisions frame + vin... ala the "73 burb" prerunner build up they did in fourwheeler (think that was the right mag). next day, remove all the emissions stuff you dont want.

j

8. dyeager535

Can't do that easily...the '84 frame VIN is under the drivers seat, top of the frame rail. (stamped in, no tag) You'd have a hard time doing that with the body on.

Besides, trucks here are registered based on looks. If it LOOKS like an '81+, it IS an '81+ (or '80 down, you know what I mean), regardless of VIN.

9. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

i have my truck registered in another conty wich doesnt require emissions so thats why i want it off and it makes it alot easier to work on and also i cant put the typ of carb i want on there unless that stuff is off
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. dyeager535

Didn't answer how many electrical plugs the carb has...

Unless you've already bought the carb, don't think you'll find many that agree with your carb choice anyways. Not that you asked of course.

Is the motor otherwise stock or what? Sounds like it, and if so, an intake isn't going to impress you if that and a properly working carb are all you replace.

And yes, I said properly working...if the Q-jet is messed up, then it would make a big difference swapping it, but its cheaper to rebuild them than replace.

I'm not one to agree with yanking emissions off just to do it, as long as its working properly, so you won't find me very neutral on that subject. It's just that if you don't know what you are doing and go in there and rip stuff out, you could end up without transmission lockup, cruise, spark, and so on.