Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions stuff on a 77???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Nov 12, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got this from a member on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.stovebolt.com>stovebolt.com</a>... I was wondering if you guys could help me answer it?
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Solo
    I am kicking around the idea of buying my neighbors Jimmy. It is a 77. I am wondering if you know or can lead me to find the info I need. I need to know if this truck originally came with a catalytic converter, air pump or any other pollution type controls. I live in Rhode Island and this state is getting pretty bad about enforcing these things. I have already checked out the ColoradoK5 website and have found no results. As a Blazer fan on the stovebolt site I thought maybe you would know.

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'll check my 1977 Chevrolet shop manual, and see what it says.

I'm pretty sure that 77 required Catalytic converters on anything with a GVWR less then 5800 Lbs. my 3/4 tons don't have them, but I think the blazer line did. I'll double check with my manual, and let you know for sure.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

3. solowookie

thanks Rich, appreciate it! I'll pass the info along when I get it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright, this all depends on how his vehicle is classed, and wether it got screwed into being a california truck originaly.... tehre's nothing specificaly for the K5, so hopefully one of these will kinda match. there should be an Emissions tag on the core support of the vehicle in question.

Light duty emissions on a 305 and 350 had EGR, thermostatic air cleaner, Evaporative control system ( ECS) Catalytic converter, PCV, and Early Fuel Evaporation (EFE). California Emissions add the AIR pump and system, or 454 with light duty emissions, add an AIR pump.
    these were specificaly listed as C10, and G10 emissions.

Heavy duty Emissions has PCV, and Thermostatic Air cleaner. California had PCV and thermostatic aircleaner, as well as Throttle return control ( TRC ) and Spark TVS, with some also having AIR.

the 305 only had the PCV, Thermostat air cleaner, and TRC, and the 454 had basicaly everything, and the kitchen sink. these were listed as C20/30, K10/20/30, G20/30, and P30( motor home)

hope that helps a little...

Good luck,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Ive owned and worked on many 77's and none of them had catalytic converters.. only one 77 blazer, the rest pickups (1/2 &amp; 3/4 ton)... they were all california based vehicles and they should have a smog pump but no EGR unless its a big block.. then the standard little stuff like EFE "early fuel evaporation" which included the little valve on the passenger side down-pipe that sent heat up thru the intake manifold crossover. a heat riser tube from the manifold to the snorkel, and the little flapper valve in there.

all in all its pretty easy to legalize a '77.. I just last week "legalized" my 77 K25 to pass emissions here in san diego.. 78 was the first year that I know of for catalytic coverters on a blazer.. in 78 or 79 they started egr on the small blocks, etc... it all goes down hill from there..

mike

6. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I believe that the first year that the K5's came w/cats was 79' Don't quote me but I think that I read that after buying my 79' !!!

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

7. solowookie

hey, thanks for your input...

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    He's asking a tough ?
    Records from 1977 are not easy to acses, and when you can the information is messy at best.
    If the under hood sticker is missing in action, and 77 is a good chance it is !
    On the cat see if unleaded fuel is labed at the fuel guage, also check the fuel inlet, for a restictor.
    Look for the vin plate/sicker and obtain the GVW, and call/go to your nearest Emmisioms check station.

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Nitrodrip: im saying '78 because a good friend of mine is into blazers and he has always owned '77s and I know they didnt have Cats on em.. then he got a good deal on a '78 for parts and on the sunvisor, it had a sticker that said catalytic converter was required and it had a big old picture of it.

it was most likely a california blazer though.. the other states may have been different.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Barring a definitive answer from the service Manual, I wonder if LMC is selling reproduction core support emissions stickers?

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

11. solowookie

man Dorian, I don't know but that is a very good idea...

12. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

My 77 doesn't have cats or AIR I think just 2 wheel drives had cats in 77. I know a guy that has a 77 C10 2wd with a 305 and he told me it's got a cat.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there are 49-state K5's and kalifornia K5's.
    I live in kalifornia and have a ohio made K5 no cats, no nothin' I got a PCV and that is about it, as far as i can tell. no smog pump to be sure.
    if it did not come equiped with CARB-type junk, (at least here is eco-nazi, tree-huggin' octo-lactate vegan kalifornia) you are exempt

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

14. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had a '78 3/4 ton 4x4 (8200 GVW) that had a cat. This is in Kalifornia. I beleive in Kali they came standard on K5s and 1/2 tons in '77 then the heavier trucks in '78.

ken

15. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Okay, I own a '77 Blazer and NO it did NOT come with a catalytic converter. In fact it was the last year for non-emission controls on Blazers. For passenger cars, 1977 was the death year, but Blazers were considered Heavy Duty and therefore did NOT have to comple with polution laws. In fact Blazers didn't have ANY polution controls installed, making that year, and earlier more desireable to build. I live in Colorado, and the emissions testing is fairly strict, and although I do have to go through emissions tests, the allowable limits for CO2 and hydrocarbons is much higher. You might check with GM Performance (on the Chevrolet website) and e-mail them your question. I would say that I am positive that 1977 K-5 Blazers did NOT have ANY emissions control devices installed, and therefore do not need them. Godd luck with your project.
    L8r, Slayer

I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sound very fishy to me !
    What is "ANY polution controls " ??????

17. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i just got my 77 blazer and at one time there was a canister on it, if there is not an emissions sticker on it then you might get a replacement from the local dealer or through GM
    there was no cat converter

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

18. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    That's what happens when your fingers type faster than your aging mind thinks, hahahahahaha.

I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............

19. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

fact: 77 blazers had no catalytic converters.
    fact: 77 california-edition blazers had a smog pump, canister, NO EGR
    fact: im talking about 4wd here.. 2WD ones might be different :) same with trucks.. the stuff I posted about a few posts up was all about 4WD vehicles.

mike

20. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

LMC has replacement emission decals(pg. 88 of the 2001 summer catalog).