Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Test

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chevit, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Well I have been trying to get my wifes Mini van thru the emissions test with no luck. I have done the basic stuff (oil change, air filter, new cat, plugs, wires, DEQ in a can) ect...and still getting a high reading in the NOx gas reading, got any tricks or tips... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

91% rubbing alcohol.... I dumped in 4 bottles into my 12 gallon gas tank. It's the same stuff as that no pass no pay stuff, but you get far more for cheaper doing it that way. I always use it, just did to pass about 2 weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

or retarding the timing might work, thats what they did to mine and it passed.

4. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

My neighbor suggested that...

5. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

no distributer

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

What kind of Minivan and Engine?
    BTW, the alcohol reduces the cylinder temp so NOx cant form.

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

1990 Plymouth Grande Voyager
    3.3 liter

8. 88Silverado

The NOx Failures are caused by high cylinder temps.
    NOx forms when the temp gets over something like 2500C.
    Advanced timing or lean condition can cause the temp to get too hot and form NOx.

Usually the EGR bleeds cooler gas back into the cyl reducing temp and/or the Cat. Converter converts the NOx into something else. If the vehicle sat for awhile before running the test, the cat might not have been hot enough.

So it could be timing and/or lean condition, but normally its the EGR system or bad Cat.

Be careful about using Alcohol. It should be denatured if your going to use it but beware alcohol can break crud loose in the tank, and its pretty harsh on rubber products and engines if used in excessive amounts. Run the tank low, add some alcohol and try it again. If theres someplace that has Methonal fuel, you might try that also .

9. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I made sure it was good and hot, I drove around twenty miles on the freeway.

i do not even know were the EGR vlave is, the Chiltons book shows it mounted on the back or the throttle body but it ain't there. Went to the wrecking yard to see where it was located on another 3.3 but it was the same thing, just a bolt hole were it is suppose to be unless there is more than one spot that it can be located... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. 88Silverado

Is it giving you a fault code in the computer?
    You might try to clear it then drive it around and see if it records any unusual paramaters.

Usually when you fail test you can ask them what it wrong with it and they can usually tell you.
    If it was a test only location, this will probably mean you have to take it to a test & repair facility and pay them to tell you, then you can decide what to do.

You can try the alcohol trick and hope it passes but if your going to fix it its either advanced timing, lean condition, converter or egr system. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif