Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Testing in UT for a '72?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mr_blasto, May 29, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Anyone familiar with emissions testing in UT? I have been living in CA and CO and in both places my '72 k5 is exempt. It seems that in UT I have to pass a smog test though (reg. went up in at the end of april). Is this right? I thought anything pre-74 was exempt nation wide. Anyone know if there is any way around this. Or does anyone in UT know of any unscrupulous emissions testers? A couple months ago I put some headers on and lost some of the smog equipment. I don't have enough $ to change any parts on the truck.

The title is currently a CO title and that is where it was last registered. I don't now of any ways to re-register a car by mail in CO, and I don't have the means to drive to CO. My dad lives in CA, but I doubt that it is possible for him to register my car there without the car being there? I think I am stuck getting it registered here in UT, but it is missing just a couple of smog items so I doubt it will pass. Anyone got any bright ideas? Need some help so I can drive it again.

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

You do have to pass IM in UT its still 67 and older are exempt. I have a 78 with a new 350 headers no cats and NO SMOG equipment at all and I pass easily. :D

3. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Don't you have to pass a visual inspection? I thought visual was part of the whole deal, so even if your engine is running super clean, if you don't have the goods you are still screwed? Thanks for the insight.

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I've passed that visual at several shops and none have said a word :confused:

5. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

there's no emissions testing in Tooele County UT as of March. Not sure if that's going to change or not. I really, really hope not.