Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions Testing.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jay, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Jay

Jay Newbie

I have a 1990 K5 with a 4" lift and 35" tires. Since it is a 1990 I have several more years before it will be considered an antique so I have to get the emissions done every 2 years. Does anyone know where I can take my Blaze to get the emissions done? Everywhere I have gone they have turned me away because the tires are too big. I live in Douglas County if it matters.

Thanks so much.
    Jay

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are your tires illegal? I'm just wondering how, if the inspection is state mandated, and the tires are not illegal in your locale, how a "station", tasked, or offering to perform inspections in the name of the state, can turn you away?

It's just too damn bad if it's a dyno test and they don't want to run it due to tire size, thats theirs and the states problem for not saying they are illegal..if it's legal, I don't see ANY way that they can choose not to accomodate you.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What state are you in? That'll be the first step in figuring out how to pass emissions.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Jay

Jay Newbie

I am running 35" BFGoodrich Mud Terrians. I have looked all over the front range. No one will see me. I heard it was because trucks that are classified as "light duty" (ie Blazers, Pickups, whatever.) are hopping off the rollers when being tested. There is some kind of lawsuit going on that is prohibiting shops from seeing light duty trucks with tires larger than 34". That is most all of CO!! They will see "heavy duty" trucks, like the Hummers. They are telling people to put smaller tires on to get the emissions done. It doesn't make sense to me.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have seen trucks "jump off the rollers" but it wasn't due to tire size. It was due to ignorance. I stood there and watched them try and test a Dodge Pickup that had fulltime 4x4 on a rear wheel dyno. They couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, and why it was jumping around. A (ex)buddy or mine had a 76 Heep Wagoneer that was fulltime, and the guy he sold it to was a friend of my dads, and he took the Heep to get emissioned tested and they put it on the rear wheel dyno, and someone got in, floored it, and blew the transfer case appart. Literally. It broke a piece of the side of the tcase off, and parts flew out. Needless to say someone got reamed, and he got a brand new tcase. I would try and borrow a set of 33's from someone if they won't let you test with your 35's.

6. Jay

Jay Newbie

Here is an update just incase someone does a search on emissions.

After calling numerous 4x4 shops, emission places, and finally the ETA for Colorado, I found out what is going on. In Denver and the surounding metro area, emissions must be done on a dyno since the pollution is such a problem. Places like Fort Collins and Co Springs don't need the emissions done on a dyno and can have emissions done with a tailpipe sniffer. According to the ETA, "equipement is damaged" when a "light duty" vehicle is put on the dyno with tires over the size of 34". "Heavy duty" vehicles (ie hummers, 3/4 ton PUs) don't have to have dyno inspections. Since the ETA feels that equipement is being damaged they have told all the emission shops to turn away vehicles with tires over the size of 34" and come back with a smaller tire. So if you own a vehicle between 1977 and 1995, you have to put smaller tires on every 2 years to get emissions done.
    I also heard that since emissions are not acceptable for a vehicle with tires over 34", that in essence your vehicle is not street legal. I find that hard to believe, but that is what I heard.

I hope this helps those of you that are stuck dealing with Denver's new rules.

Jay

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is total crap.

We have dyno tests here too, 'cept I have to go every year. I have been tested with my 35's but they drew the line at my 36" TSL's last year. They just did a 'modified' idle test...consisted of holding the RPM at 2000 until the computer had it's fill.

They also have dual roller dyno's for the fulltime and AWD vehicles here. The rear roller set-up is adjustable for wheelbase.

Rene

8. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

I had to have mine done twice. The first time they tested it in neutral and it failed. After a little carb adjustment, I took it back and the next guy put it on the rollers and it did just fine.

I just hate the tag that says "This inspection is mandated by your United States Congress"

MY congress would never put us through this...

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

That is crap.... I passed smog with 36x16.50x15's on my truck.... the guy who did it didn't make one comment.... just did it... wonder why in CO they opted to do this? Makes no sense? Someone can be an idiot and screw up a smog test with 34's as well as they can with 42's....

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

That would really piss me off. Call your Congressman and tell them that this is BS. Next thing ya know they will tell you we can't test your truck because it's not a fuel efficient Honda.
    Get a petition going. Just my opinion.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Since the heading fits for someone doing a search, I thought I'd add this in.

Tail-pipe readings are very impotant to dignosing a condition. If someone failed the tail-pipe test, take a look at the readings.

There shoud be atleast a 3-gas reading, maybe even 5. They should be as follows:
    H.C., CO, CO2, NOX, O2.

Most states will run atleast a un-loaded (non-dyno or roller) test, consisting af a 2500 RPM test, and an idle test. Some will be a loaded test, a more actual test that loades the engin to real-would conditions. (I've never done one of these, so I'm not sure of the conditions)

The tail pipe readings will be read if they are below the -state- mandated regulations for the area and the GVW for the vehical, a certificate will be issued. (some states also require a visual inspection to pass also as-well as a gas cap test)

If you fail the test. Give us the exact readings, tail-pipe readings at upper and lower engine speeds will help diagnose the roblem. Also include any modifications and the year.

12. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I didn't catch exactly where you are located but if the smog tech is smart enough to tie the truck down with the tie downs the manufacturer of his machine provided him and used the rubber wheel stops also provided him, there should be no problem running a truck with oversized tires. I'm a smog tech and have never turned down anything of that nature, you just have to be smart about it. I've done my own with 35x14.5x15 SSR's with no problem!