Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emissions, what year did the converter have to be put on??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bikejunkie, Mar 30, 2003.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

I'm in the process of buying a 1975 3/4 Chevy 4x4 truck. Just wondering if I have to run a cat(conveter) on there or not. I done some searching but can't seem to narrow down a year on trucks. Does anyone know? Thanks

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

For non-California emissions, the first year with a catalytic converter on a 4x4 1/2 ton was 1978. They seemed to vary according to the vehicle GVW, so the 3/4 ton may be different as well.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

it all depends on your states emissions laws. it's different for most states even different counties have different regulations.

4. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

1984 and up have to have a converter for state inspection.Unless it has the air tube from the smog pump going to the cat then it has to be there on earlier vehicles.
    Most 3/4 and 1 tons did not come with cats. 1975s had very few
    emmision items.

5. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

WAZUP!!! I have 78' GMC Jimmy High Sierra 4x4 that is an original Arizona truck and it came from the factory with standard emissions (NO cats,No egr,ect.). This is the last year for OFF-Road vehicles to have no cats,egr,ect.With factory dual exhaust,and basically a PVC valve as only emission device this thing flys through DEQ NO PROBLEM!!!In fact the old man testin' the JIMMY said it was the cleanest runnin' rig of that vintage he had seen in a while(and believe me he see's lots of em'.I also previously owned a 76' Chevy C-10 Longbed 2wd that was loaded with smog goodies /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.GO figure!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif