Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The guys at the play inspected my truck and the preheater hose for the air cleaner isn't hooked up cause i put headers on any ideas on what to do?

Does anyone have routeing diagram for the evap can 2 hoses missing and they want those hooked up to?

Those guys are so stupid some times the guy inspecting my truck fell off the parking curd and bashed his head on my fender :grin: it was funny

2. dheavychevy38

does anyone have a diagram or can tell me where the hose are supposed to go from the evp can to the motor some where i wan't the truck to be legal to go play in the snow that we are supposed to get

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey biggest hose Tee's into pvc valve hose, three way fitting inline with pvc but third port for the biggest hose to can, next smaller to line to tank along frame down there, couple others there, if you clean top of can off right under or next to ports it will say what they are for, pvc, tank, etc
    its not complicated, is self explanatory once you look *closely* at the details

and emissions vacuum hose diagram underhood on rad support or air cleaner might hwlp, some years some drivetrains some models it shows you it all

good luck

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

shouldent be that big of a deal. yes it will be a little harder to pass, but when i got headers i got k&n at the same time and it dosent make use of the hose

5. dheavychevy38

The sticker under the hood is gone other wise i would have checked that didn't know that it told you :D on the canister thanks

The air cleaner thing i know it will pass with out it but the inspector said it has to be there and hooked up. cause i failed 3 times they do a inspection before the retest.

The main problem was i had to move my o2 and a new cat was installed the o2 was to far back in the header and not getting hot enough to put the truck in closed loop so it was just dumping fuel in open loop

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

the hot air is an easy fix.... go get the hot air tube...a universal one the fits your air cleaner will work... they come in different lengths so measure the one that will work for your needs.... measure the diameter.. get a short piece of tubing to fit inside... like 2 inches or so... weld a flat on the bottom of one end of the tube and use a hose clamp to hold it to a header pipe... you can also hose clamp the hot air on the metal tubing as well.... this is how doug thorleys do it and that passes CARB smog....

as to the routing... they are in most hanyes or chiltons manual for your year... its sounds more difficult than it is... its fairly simple once you put the diagram in front of you while looking at the engine...

the o2 sensor... this, I believe, is also an easy fix.... I recommend the CFM technologies site.... there you can read about installing a 2 or 3 wire pre-heated o2 sensor to replace what I assume you have .. a one wire... I think that will solve that problem

I hope this helps
    cam

7. dheavychevy38

thanks for the help guys i might take it top day but with all the snow it's not to good on the road with those 38.5 that are copys of ground hawgs

8. dheavychevy38

Ok so i just got back from the test it failed again

The readng for hc last test was 850 now down to 620 and the limit is 220 man

i have given it a tune up
    changed oil
    new cat
    moved the new o2 sensor
    checked timeing
    checked for vaccum leaks
    any ideas ?:frown1:

On the way home the truck through a code 24 which iirc is a vss code
    does this have anything to do with my problem?
    i noticed the truck was hunting at idle before i left for the test i though it was cause it was cold maybe i am wrong

9. camiswelding

code 24.... no vehicle speed sensor signal during a road load decel
    VSS signal low...

yes this will affect the test... as the computer isnt responding correctly... check the vss sensor... fix (see chiltons... they have the testing procedure I didnt want to write it all down here)
    it sends a pulsing signal to the ECM....
    it mainly controls the torque convertor clutch, the shift light and the crusie control,,,,

I think you might have other issues... did you put a code reader on it yet?
    cam

10. dheavychevy38

Yea i ran the codes just that i used one of the fancy scanners from my work.

Where is that sensor located cause i don't have that trans anymore the 700r4 i have a th350 would that cause it this is the first time since i have had the truck that it has thrown that code.

Cruise control isn't hooked up anymore either how can i bypass that stuff to make this work

11. dheavychevy38

oh ya my speedo is cable operated does that make a difference with the vss

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

VSS is driven off the speedometer cable AT the speedometer. If the speedo reads right, then VSS is reading right. That doesn't mean the ECM is seeing what it wants, but just that a correct speedometer means correct VSS input.

The *BEST* way to test VSS is hook up a scanner (something like an autoxray) and watch the speed the ECM is seeing while you drive. If it threw a code, and your speedometer works, then it probably is the VSS buffer. Light blue (typical) or yellow box that has a 3 wire ribbon cable running up to the speedometer, held in place with one 7mm(?) screw.

VSS is tied into the idle in injection setups, and is important when coming off the gas, such as coming up to a light, and will screw with idle.

Don't have to worry about cruise, it has no basis on how the injection system works, except it too would probably show evidence of VSS failure if it were working right.

I ran my TPI setup quite a few times around the block, and it never threw a code, but since yours starting running worse all of a sudden, and the code says VSS, it's a pretty safe bet something is messed up with it.

13. dheavychevy38

The code or check engine light only comes on if you drive it then let it sit and idle.

I noticed when i started it and let it warm up for about 15 mins to day the way it idle went up and down the whole time but after i drove it it went away?

I don't know i just want it to pass so i don't have to scrap it and build another cause i don't want a trailer queen the place i wheel is only 1/2 from my place on the weekends.
    Plus it's just fun to drive big trucks.

14. camiswelding

dont get discouraged.... emissions stuff is a pita until you get it figured out that its not a mystery,,, the comouter actually makes the truck friendly to fix....

if you dont have the chilton or haynes manual now is the time to get it.... it has an easy to read section on emissions codes and fixes
    fix the vss problem and then continue thru their troubleshooting

15. dheavychevy38

So what i read is it controls the evap system the tps and the idles control is this right.

Need to get it fix we got about 12 inchs of snow time to go play:grin:

16. dheavychevy38

The hayes manual that i have doesn't show anything or tell about it it just says what it does:confused:

Emissions suck i know we need them nut what a pain this is the one and only time i wish i had a carb:whistle:

17. dheavychevy38

ok so i went and got my hayes manual and a chiltons and they don't say squat about the diag of the situation any more help would be good.

18. dheavychevy38

Ok so i got the scanner hooked up. At idle with the truck in park the vss reads 0 which it should cause they do a idle test they daon't run it on teh dyno.The only thing i found out of range was the map sensor the spec is 9 hg 1.1v and at 12 hg 1.7 v i have 10 hg i changes from 1.29v to 1.40v. Bad sensor or just maybe a vaccum leak any ideas. Thanks for the help.