Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dumbfounded, May 27, 2000.

1. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Me again, I've got an important question. I've got a 78 cheyanne with AC, 350, 1/2ton, etc... I noticed in the spec page that in 77 or so they all started coming with catalytic converters. Is this 100% or did they have canadian models or any without. The sticker under the hood is gone and it doesn't have cats. Was wondering if it ever did. What other emissions did it have? air pump? egr? ETC? Mine has none of this and it doesn't look like it ever did. Manifolds dont have AIR connections ( maybe none did) Cats are easily put on but finding other stuff (if I need it) can be a little hastle....

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

most likely yours didnt it mostly was a california problem and until 86 most ran on leaded fuel with no Cat but they had air pumps

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

thanks. one more thing it doesn't have "unleaded fuel only" anywhere I can see so I'm hoping it didn't. My county will be phased into the "sniffer" test on emissions within the next couple of years....

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Since your county is going to be sniffing your tailpipe soon (boy, that phrase goes a few ways...), throwing on a cat or two won't hurt. Random Technologies makes hi-flow cats that have almost no restriction and weigh 75% less than stockers. I think it's randomtechnologies.com. Of course, if you investigate with the county and can find out what they say your truck should have for emiss. gear, you may not need to worry about anything!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Look in your glove box, the sticker in there will tell you if your truck came with heavy duty emissions or light duty.Heavy duty has no cat converter. It will also list if truck came with dual exhaust.