Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Emitions question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CammoK5, Apr 10, 2003.

1. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

I did a search in this forum for 'emitions' and only came up with a "prepare to be pissed" thread. So I hope I'm not repeating something that's already been discussed too much. I know how folks hate that.

Anyway, I was hoping that somebody could explain to me when differant emition devices showed up in these trucks. I had a 85 K5 (pics in my sig) that had all kinds of vaccume lines, smog pump, cat. converter, and all that other junk under the hood. During the engine swap I junked all that as it wasnt required to pass Texas inspection. I know, that's illegal, but I was about 17 and didnt care much about that.
    Now I'm older and slightly wiser /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I want to get another Blazer or K10-K20 to build up, but I dont want to mess with any of that crap. I figure I'll be safe with a 70's era rig, but 82-87 Blazers are all over the place. So I was wondering when all that emition stuff came into play. Texas is now doing 'visual' inspections on that sort of stuff, but still no sniffer test. I'd still like to be legal and not have to worry about that equipment.

Thanks a lot for any help. Again, I hope I'm not beating a dead dog here.
    Have mercy on the noobie. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Try spelling it "emissions" also check "smog".

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Emitions /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Get a diesel. Most states don't have EMISSION regulations on diesels. I also think that the '73-'76(????) didn't have any EMISSION regulations. If I'm wrong someone will tell me.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

More and more states have gone to emissions inspections on diesels just because people started swapping gas engines into them, to bypass emissions. (thanks folks)

Again, it's based on the state or municipality for inspections, either tailpipe or visual or both, so thats what you need to check, local regulations, or anywhere you plan to move.

One thing to consider, if you strip emissions off of a vehicle, it makes it almost impossible to sell in an emissions checked area, as it will cost the buyer that much more to get back to "legal". BTDT.

6. CammoK5

I never was a good speller /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. CammoK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a diesel. Most states don't have EMISSION regulations on diesels. I also think that the '73-'76(????) didn't have any EMISSION regulations. If I'm wrong someone will tell me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have a diesel, this is my current daily driver, work truck, and play toy. Looking for a gasser, gotta love the GM 350! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif